Powerpoint 2016 not able to open up media files

I am using powerpoint 2016 with a MAC and not able to play any of the media slide videos. The message that is coming up is codec unavailable. And also there are two other messages on the top that state "Warning: this presentation contains old media formats that must be updates. Also the other message states "An additonal plug in is required to play back all media in this presentation.

when you click on the update, it states sorry, but 5 of 5 media files can't be updated. 

I have downloaded quicktime 7 and VLC media player and none of them play in powerpoint. Is there a certain media player that is only compatible with powerpoint 2016 because some one else's mac was not able to play it and they have the same PP version, but I am able to play it on a windows computer. I have tried every file extension .mov, .wmv, .mp4, and none of them work. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2019 Views 7,574 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Not all software is free.  Sometimes developers have children who insist on silly luxuries like shoes and food.  ;-)

If a purchased solution isn't in the cards, try the free one that Stu suggested, Handbrake.

And remember that changing the extension on files is kind of like changing the label on your salt shaker to say "Sugar".  The label only indicates what's inside, it doesn't change the taste of the contents, but if it's wrong, the results aren't always pleasant.

As anyone who's put salt in coffee can tell you.  If you've changed the extensions on your media files, do change them back before trying Handbrake or any other solution.

PowerPoint Help:
http://www.pptfaq.com/
PPTools:
http://www.pptools.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.