How do I save powerpoint slide as a high resolution/300dpi image? (for a photobook)

So, I'm making a photobook but want my own layout - so want to create high resolution pdfs (or jpegs) to put straight into the photobook software.
I'm using powerpoint to put together the pages - and have figured out how to create jpegs - but they are too low in quality.

any tip on getting a higher dpi from the slides? (and yes - I'm using massive photo files within the powerpoint...)

thank you!!!

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2019 Views 105,969 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

This is how I achieved it on Mac:

1. I needed to print my visiting cards (3inches x 2inches or 900x600 pixels @300dpi) on a gum sheet of 18 inches x 12 inches, as many as possible.
  2. Open a new powerpoint project. Click File>Page Setup and give custom page dimensions in cms. In my case 45.71cms x 30.48cms.
  3. Now choose your high resolution image/s (300 dpi) which you need to arrange in your slide. My visiting card was 900x600 pixels at 300 dpi. To import it in slide, click Insert>Picture>Picture from file.
  4. Arrange the pictures however you want. In my case, I pasted the same image in a 6x6 grid format, total 36 times on the slide.
  5. Now, the hackish part. As you know powerpoint wont allow you to save a picture higher than 2999x1999 resolution, that too at 72 dpi, not suitable for publication. Instead, simply select all images on the slide (Command+A). Open Mac "Preview". In preview, choose File> New from Clipboard. And save this file as jpeg (choose "best" quality).
  6. Presto! The new file, for me, was 5400x3600 at 300 dpi, exactly what I wanted.

50 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I just did some experimentation. I am seeing some differences in file sizes using JPEG when I use the don't compress setting, but other formats don't seem to be affected. By far, the best output is when I save as PDF.

And I forgot to mention that when you use File > Save As there's an options button. Click the button to display a PowerPoint preferences dialog. At the bottom of the dialog you can specify how many pixels you want saved. The more pixels you save, the picture is either bigger or more dense (higher resolution) depending on how you want to look at it.

I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.