Copy and paste images and objects does not work on PowerPoint 2011 Version 14.4.3

I am no longer able to copy and paste objects (rectangles and images) in PowerPoint. 

I am trying to copy an jpg image copied to a slide across other slides using copy and paste and Paste option doesn't show enabled after the Copy command. I am able to duplicate the object in the same slide (Command-D) but not copy-paste it. My temporary work-around has been importing the image on the other slides or duplicating the slide itself. 

This is a weird behaviour that started happening about a week back. I do automatic updates so I am not sure if this started after one of them (but it is likely).

Anyone else saw this behaviour before and managed fixing it?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

If you're using OS X 10.8 or later it sounds like you're another victim of what I call "the random Start Dictation bug". See this conversation as well as others on the subject: Keyboard shortcuts reassign themselves

As yet there is no fix, but you should still be able to execute the commands by means other than their 'normal' keyboard shortcuts.

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you're using OS X 10.8 or later it sounds like you're another victim of what I call "the random Start Dictation bug". See this conversation as well as others on the subject: Keyboard shortcuts reassign themselves

As yet there is no fix, but you should still be able to execute the commands by means other than their 'normal' keyboard shortcuts.

Hello CyberTaz, thank you for replying. I am using the OS X 10.9.4.

I checked your suggested link but doesn't quite look the same as for text boxes, copy and paste works normally from menu (Edit, Copy), keyboard Cmd-C or Context (right click on mouse). But for pictures and objects like rectangles, circles and similar after using Copy on the three possible ways, Paste is not available (dimmed as if nothing was copied to the clipboard to be pasted).

If you have further ideas/suggestions, feel free to share.

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since your installation apparently is fully updated, I'd try running Disk Utility to repair disk permissions on your HD followed by a Restart [from the  Menu] of your Mac.

Beyond that, Cut/Copy/Paste is a service of the OS. Do you have any utilities or 'enhanced clipboard manager' apps installed, such as CopyPaste Pro, Copy Less, etc.?

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Bob, 

I followed your suggestions and ran Disk Utility. It found and corrected a few disk problems and permissions. I ran it in exclusive session at boot so no errors or disk permission problems anymore.

Despite that, the fix did not seem to have solved the problem. I am still not able to Paste on Power Point, only to duplicate items (Command-D). 

Interestingly, I can Copy objects in PowerPoint and paste them on Apple's KeyNote but still cannot paste in PowerPoint itself so the problem continues. 

Any other suggestion? Perhaps I may need to re-install the whole thing again?

Thanks again!!!!

Carlos.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I wanted to share an update on this problem.

I have contacted Microsoft support and I will make the story short.

Near 8 hours of work with them. 3 technicians supported me remotely in a span of 3 days.

What they did:

- Uninstalled office completely (logs, preferences, and many small files in multiple folders).

- Re-installed office. No Paste

- Created a brand new user on Mac and tried on it. (item added, forgot to include initially).

- Tried Copy/Past using Safe Boot. No Paste (item added, forgot to mention when first posted)

- Re-installed OSX and Office. No Paste.

- Checked keyboards, shortcuts and many other things from the background of their remote session. No Paste.

- At last they wanted to re-format and re-install OS X in a clean. I said stop. I'd loose all my programs and configurations and would need to re-create my entire environment, network, et all. Give me a break. On all other programs Paste works, including items copied from PowerPoint (where there is no Paste) and they tried to convince me the problem was in OS X... give me a break...

In the end, they left my case open and would take it to development on a monthly call or something like that.

I will survive without Paste on PowerPoint only my Mac for a while. If this ever changes and a solution is found, I will come back and share.

I am very frustrated, hard to believe such a simple thing could not be solved by MS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To be fair, if the problem has nothing to do with Office you shouldn't blame Microsoft. 

Did you try a Safe Boot? If not, try that and see if Paste works. If it does, then some other software you have running is interfering with Paste.

Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Jim, 

Despite not mentioning it as a step above, the support team and I did the Safe Boot and at that scenario Paste was also not available after copying an object.

The team that helped me tried everything they could.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Jim, 

Despite not mentioning it as a step above, the support team and I did the Safe Boot and at that scenario Paste was also not available after copying an object.

The team that helped me tried everything they could.

I added the Safe Boot step above on my 8/15 list of steps taken. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then it appears the next step would be to erase the hard drive and start with a fresh install of Mac OS X. Install MS Office first and test it before using Migration Assistant to restore your apps and documents from Time Machine. 
Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then it appears the next step would be to erase the hard drive and start with a fresh install of Mac OS X. Install MS Office first and test it before using Migration Assistant to restore your apps and documents from Time Machine. 

Hi, I did not want to take that last step because it would take a long time to execute, it would be risky (I put a lot of time to tailor this Mac) but the main reason I don't want to do it is because when I step back and look at the problem itself (Paste does not work on PowerPoint only) and the step proposed (reformat the drive and re-install the OS) looks like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. Of course this will work but I am having trouble that this would be the only solution for such small problem.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 5,710 Applies to: