No sound from embedded videos or audio in PowerPoint on iPad

PowerPoint files with embedded video suddenly stopped playing sound.  Similarly embedded sound files no longer play in PowerPoiint.  These same files worked just fine a few months ago (last semester).  I am running the latest version of ios and my office files are updated automatically.  Did an update to PowerPoint cause the audio to stop working?

Hello Stephen,

With regard to your concern, we suggest that you uninstall and reinstall PowerPoint application on your device. You can also check on this link for more information regarding PowerPoint in iPad.

Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Regards.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app.  This did not help.

But, here are some other things I did find out after experimenting today at work.   Although the sound in videos or in audio files cannot be heard on the iPad speakers,  which was what alerted me to the problem.  The sound from both types of embedded files can be heard if something is plugged into the headphone jack (headphones, external speakers, projectors, etc.)  Again it only seems to affect the iPad internal speakers.  Outside of PowerPoint (in basically any other app, like Safari, Youtube, Chrome), the sound does come through the internal speakers.  Knowing this is very helpful, because it means the sound will work in PowerPoint if I am giving a presentation and have plugged into the speaker on the projector.  Also, I can test the presentations if I plug in headphones.

Steve

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

With regard to your concern, we reproduce the issue that you have been encountering. Without the speaker, there is no sound. This is a product limitation since I can also hear a sound when there is a speaker or headset connected to the device.

We appreciate all opinions and suggestions. We suggest that you send a feedback so we can take note of this feature for future updates.

Regards.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You've got to be kidding me. Who designs PRESENTATION software to only have sound through external speakers. This also doesn't play sound if connected to an Apple TV, but will play sound if from  another direct video or audio source.

Hopefully Microsoft corrects this bug soon. I have a paid version of Office and expect and rely on this to work as it should.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got this figured out. Someone at the local Apple store noted that if the ringer is all the way to silent, it won't play audio through the speakers, just the headphones. This is only in Power point, as all other programs seemed to work fine. I guess it recognizes having the ringer down as the old silent switch that ipads used to have, and iphones still do (at least my 5SE and 6 do). Odd behavior, but at least I figured mine out and it sounds like yours is probably the same. If you're like me, you never need your notifications from you ipad to be audible.

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2020 Views 7,195 Applies to: