Why on Earth does Outlook client have to be open to send a delayed message?

Several months ago, I used the "Do not deliver before" function in Outlook for Desktop to send a delayed email.

I normally use OWA from portal.office.com - I like to be web based, especially when I have to use SharePoint.

Well, today I logged in to outlook for Desktop for the first time since then and my delayed email that was supposed to be sent months ago just sent when I opened the program.

1st - I now have a really big problem at work because of this.

2nd - Why does this feature work like this? If I was able to have my computer on and Outlook open, I would have just sent the stupid email when I wanted it to go out. The whole reason I used the Delay Sending function was because I needed to send an email when I wouldn't have internet access. (The Outlook and OWA apps are terrible and unusable, so mobile access isn't ideal)

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2019 Views 58,197 Applies to:

hi allisonmckillop,

based on your description, i understand that when you close your outlook client the delay emails are not sent out.

i did a test from my side to reproduce the same result but failed.

to clarify your situation, please help us collect the information below:
1. the detailed version of your operating system and outlook.
for example: windows 8.1 64-bit
2. how did you configure your account on outlook, via  exchange or pop/imap?
3. please do a test as below to check if it is related to outlook client: create a new profile  and configure your account in outlook via exchange, then send a test delay email and check if the email can be sent out when outlook is closed.
if you received any error message when doing the above test, please capture a screenshot of it.

to upload a picture, please click use rich formatting under the reply box and then click the insert/edit media icon.

regards,
poppy

hi allisonmckillop,

sorry for the misleading.
the delay delivery is a client feature and there isn’t such a setting on exchange online.
but i reproduced the situation you described. actually, the "delay delivery" action is performed by outlook instead of the exchange online server (when sending emails while outlook is working offline, the emails also go to the outbox folder. based on the point, we can see that the emails in the outbox folder haven't arrived at the server).
however, i do think it would be nice if we can send the delayed message when outlook is closed. therefore, we suggest you submit feedback to our relevant team via the send a smile button in the upper right corner in your outlook.
thanks for your understanding.

best regards,
poppy

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1.0 windows 7, 64-bit, also tried it on a windows 10 64-bit machine.

2.0 no idea

3.0 tried it on a different outlook client and machine - same result.

also, it looks like i'm not the only one with this issue. please see this post: http://www.tech-talk.com/sample-articles/outlook-delay-email-delivery

"note: you must have your computer turned on and outlook open at the time you want the message to be sent for this to work. if you use outlook exchange, it is server based so you do not need to have outlook open."

screenshot of my test:

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AllisonMcKillop,

Sorry for the misleading.

The delay delivery is a client feature and there isn’t such a setting on Exchange Online.

But I reproduced the situation you described. Actually, based on my knowledge, the "delay delivery" action is performed by Outlook instead of the Exchange Online server (When sending emails while Outlook is working Offline, the emails also go to the Outbox folder. Based on the point, we can see that the emails in the Outbox folder haven't arrived at the server). So I doubt that keeping Outlook open is also needed for the delay delivery.

However, I do think it would be nice if we can send the delayed message when Outlook is closed. Therefore, we suggest you submit feedback to our relevant team via the Send a smile button in the upper right corner in your Outlook.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Neo

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I submitted feedback. Not sure if it will mean anything though, I have submitted a lot of feedback before and never get any responses.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I recommend this add-on: http://boomerangoutlook.com/. You can find it under settings -> manage add-ons in Office 365. It can send messages for you at a scheduled time even if you are offline.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Forgive me for not being more accurate on this response, but we did get this to work on our Outlook 2010 clients. It required a Office 2010 SP2 and a couple of Hotfixes from Microsoft.  I don't have the Hotfix KB numbers, sorry.

I believe what ended up doing is stripping out the Office 2010 installation (clean uninstall; make sure you backup your PST data), reinstall Office 2010 SP2, then the Hotfixes.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same issue.  Check if your using online or cached mode.

Delayed delivery options are client side in cached mode and server side in online mode. So, when using Cached Exchange Mode, Outlook must be connected and open at the assigned delivery time for the delayed delivery message to be sent.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj683103.aspx

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You use the Boomerang Add-in on Outlook 365 web app to delay the delivery of an email.

You won't need the Outlook app on your computer.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.