Search results limited on Office365 on-line portal

When I search something on the on-line Office365 Mail program, I am not receiving results for emails greater than 3 months back.  Don't know why when I should have a years worth of results. Please advise.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2019 Views 5,332 Applies to:

Hi Walter,

Do you mean you’re trying to search emails in Outlook Web App, but you cannot find emails more than 3 months?
If so, I’d like to clarify that to reduce the time to show search results, initially you may only get a subset of the results. In those cases, you can get additional results up to the 250 results limit by selecting Get more results at the bottom of the search results.

So, please click Get more results to see if other emails can be displayed in the search result.

For more information about searching mails in Office 365 Outlook Web App, please refer to: 
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Search-Mail-and-People-in-Outlook-Web-App-88108edf-028e-4306-b87e-7400bbb40aa7

If you still have question after that, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
Vivian 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response, but why would they set 250??  That is ridiculous and should be stated when you do a search. This has caused me tons of problems, as the Outlook 2016 search engine is also flawed. When will this be fixed?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Walter,

Firstly, in order to improve the searching performance and reduce the time, the maximum number of search results is 250 in OWA (Outlook Web App).
If you want to show more than 250 search results, it is suggested that you do the search in Outlook client because you can remove the default limit on the number of search results in Outlook client.

As you said ‘Outlook 2016 search engine is also flawed’, could you provide us with more details about this?
Also as searching in Outlook 2016 client is based on indexing, I suggest you make sure that Indexing Options are configured correctly and indexing is complete.
1. Check the Indexing Options.
1) Open Control Panel and click into Indexing Options.
2) Advanced>File Types, Scroll down until you find msg in the Extension column.
3) Click msg and make sure that the Index Properties and File Contents option is enabled.
2. Make sure indexing is complete.
1) In Outlook, click in the Search box.
2) Click the Search tab, click Search Tools, and then click Indexing Status. When the Indexing Status dialog appears, you should see the following:
Outlook has finished indexing all of your items.
0 items remaining to be indexed.
3) If Outlook has not finished indexing all of your items, note the items remaining to be indexed, wait 5 minutes, and then check again

If the Indexing Options are correctly configured and indexing is complete, it is suggested that you rebuild the indexing search catalog.
1. Open control Panel and click into Indexing Options.
2. In the Indexing Options dialog box, click Modify, click to clear the check box next to Outlook, and then click OK.
3. Indexing Options->Advanced, click Rebuild, click OK and click Close.

Regards,
Yang

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Walter,

Do you have further questions about Outlook 2016 search?

Thanks,
Vivian

Sorry this didn't help.