Messages go directly to Deleted folder

Some messages go directly to the Deleted folder, skipping the Inbox.  I'm using OWA with my Office 365 account from GoDaddy.  Occasionally, a message will go directly to the Deleted folder or the Archive folder without ever going to my Inbox.  Sometimes the message is marked read, sometimes it is not.  Yesterday, I found a message that was from sent from the same domain/realm as my account, but a different user, was marked as read, and arrived in my Deleted folder.  Two other messages were sent from another mail system and arrived in the Deleted folder but were unread.  I moved the read message from Deleted folder into my Inbox.  This morning, the same message is back in my Deleted folder.

I don't have any Inbox or Sweep rules set, and I can't seem to configure retention policy.

Hi Brandon,

I suggest you check whether account is configured on any other devices such as mobile devices or desktop client. If so, please disable them and check whether the issue still appears in the Outlook Web App.

In addition, we need to collect some message headers of the emails that go directly to the Delete folder for further analysis.
To get the message headers, you can just login to OWA->Delete folder and right-click the email to select View message details.

In order to protect your privacy, I’ve sent you a private message to collect the headers. And you’ll see it by clicking Private messages under your details section in the upper-right corner.

If you are not an admin of your organization, please contact the admin to check if there are some transport rules that could cause the issue.

Regards,

Frank

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Brandon,

Have you received the private message?
I have sent you another one to collect the message headers.

Regards,
Frank

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes i did.  Thanks.  I also got an automated email message with just this...

Inbox; Inbox; Inbox; Inbox; Inbox

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your private message.
Based on the mail header, the value of SCL is 1, it should not be recognized as spam.
To do further investigation, please help us collect the information below:
1. About “ I also got an automated email message with just this...Inbox; Inbox; Inbox; Inbox; Inbox”, what do you refer to? Please send us a scrrenshot.
2. Please make sure that if there is any Inbox rule created in Outlook client/any other devices or Outlook Web App. To check if any Inbox rule is created in Outlook Web App: Login to OWA(outlook.office365.com/owa) > click the gear icon in the top-right corner>Options>Inbox rules.
3. Are these emails that go to your deleted items folder from specific users?
4. Do any other users in your organization encounter the same issue, or just you?
5. Send emails from both an internal address and a Hotmail/Gmail account to test it, and check the behavior.
6. Are you an admin of your organization? If not, please involve your admin to run the message trace tool to check how emails arrive Office 365, then send us a screenshot of the result.
7. To narrow down the root cause, if possible, could you please remove the connection between Office 365 and all emails clients including iPhone, Outlook temporarily to see if the issue just exists in OWA (Outlook Web App)?

To upload a picture, please click Use rich formatting under the reply box and then click the Insert Image icon.

Regards,
Poppy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) here is that automated reply...

2) no inbox rules are set.

3) you can see from the image above that two of the messages from this community thread went directly to deleted folder.  other messages that were delivered directly to deleted folder include one from another user on the same office365 domain/realm, and another from a corporate exchange server email account.  the messages that go to deleted folder are random.

4) it's just me.

5) i checked from another user in the same domain/realm whose email has arrived in deleted folder before, and from gmail.  neither arrived in deleted folder.

6) i am not admin.  i have informed admin about the problem and he told me to turn off retention policies, which i cannot configure.  please give me detailed instructions of how and what to trace and i will forward them to the admin.

7) i wish i could disable email on my iphone for a few days, but this is a work email account.  if i miss an important email, i will be in a lot of trouble.  i can possibly do that over thanksgiving holiday weekend, but i probably won't receive email during that time.

thank you for your persistence in resolving this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the updates.

Here are the detailed steps to run a message trace for an admin:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200712%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

After the test finishes, double click the affected email trace and send a screenshot for the complete result.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Regards,

Robert

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brandon,

Is there any update? Please share the test result when you have time.

Regards,
Poppy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2023 Views 652 Applies to: