deleted folders keep re-appearing even if re-named

Apologies for posting this here as well as Outlook as I am not entirely sure where it should go.
There clearly seems to be a bug in Outlook 2016 in Office 365.
I have Windows 10 - recently upgraded

I have to run sfc/scannow EVERY DAY to get Outlook to Send/Receive

I got a marketing emailer a few days ago to install Outlook 2016:

The brand new Office 2016 apps are here, and you get them as part of yourOffice 365 subscription for your home. Over the next few weeks, you will see a prompt to accept the update when you open your Office applications. Learn what’s new in Office 2016.
If you want to update today, visit My Account, sign in and select Install to update to the new Office 2016 desktop apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint andOutlook. During the update, you may need to close all Office apps and allow enough time for the update to complete.

Stupidly, I did.

Since then a LOT of empty email folders I created a long time ago & deleted have appeared from nowhere and cannot be deleted.

I have tried re-naming and deleting them but they just re-appear as the original name ie 2014 sales

I can move them but not delete them

WHY?

And where have they come from?

They are all EMPTY

None are OS folders

They were all created by me years ago

And deleted years ago too

So where are they coming from?

Why can I not delete them?

Why did this 2016 install corrupt my original uncorrupted pst?

This is clearly a bug but @Outlook on Twitter continuously sends me to a link to pay to get it fixed

Why should I pay for an issue that did not exist prior to installing Outlook 2016 for Office 365

As I said in a previous request for help, I don't know whether to laugh or cry that renamed/unwanted/ deleted folders keep re-appearing seconds later with the original name like some crazed HAL.

And it is adding insult to injury for @Outlook to constantly link me to your paying site to get it fixed.

I am sorry if I sound cross - I am.

And unhappy that upgrading first to Windows 10 and now to Office 2016 has resulted in weeks now of issues and stress.

I really would be most thankful for a solution I can follow to get these folders deleted.

(ie I do not appear to have an outlook.com profile so how can I delete it?)

Ideally too, I would like to open Outlook every day without having to run sfc/scannow first!

Thanks if you can help

Euphrosene

Hi Euphrosene,

Please delete all Outlook profiles, then create a new Outlook profile for your current account to check the results. Here are the detailed steps:

1.Exit Outlook.

2.In Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Where is Mail in Control Panel?

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending on the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of the window, type Mail.

NOTE    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

3.Do any of the following:

4.To add another email account, click E-mail Accounts.

5.To change Outlook data storage options, click Data Files.

6.To see a list of the current profiles, click Show Profiles.

7.Click “Remove” to remove all of the Outlook profiles one by one.

8.Click “Add” to add a new Outlook profile.

9.Check “Always use this profile”

If the issue still exists, could you provide the following information, so we can better understand your situation?

a.What is the type of the affected account, Yahoo.com, Gmail.com or Office 365 Business Online account?

b.The Outlook version. Click File < Office Account < Office Updates. The latest version should be 16.0.4229.1024, please upgrade it to the latest version to check the result.

c.To confirm if the issue is a client related issue. Please configure this account to another computer to check if the issue persists.

Regards,

Toby

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Okay will try this again tomorrow.

I DID create a new profile but when I opened Outlook none of my existing folders were there so how can I import all my contacts and folders into the new profile? That bit seems to have been left off this excellent checklist.

Look forward to hearing from you soon
Euphrosene

PS the millions of emails suddenly stopped - just like that. I hope.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PS To clarify (for me):

I create a new profile

This creates its own new ost file.

All my original data is on another previously saved pst file

Which I have to import into the new profile?

But how does this get rid of the undeletable folders?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Euphrosene,

Your data should have been synced to the server, so after you create a new profile, all data will be downloaded from there. You don’t need to import the PST file to the new profile again.

However, to prevent data losing, please export your data from Outlook client before deleting all of the Outlook profiles.

Regards,

Toby

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Euphrosene,

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
Toby

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Toby. Still having problems as the new profile did not pick up all my current folders. Plus I still have the undeletable folders.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Euphrosene,

I have read the whole post and want to confirm whether you are using the Office 365 account on your Outlook 2016.  If you can provide your domain name of the email address here that will be great.  For the question you mentioned, you can NOT remove the folders, it could be related to PST file corruption. To resolve that, you can take a look the following steps:  

1. Exit Outlook if it is running

2. Find ScanPST.exe on your computer (it can usually found at <disk drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\<your office version>)

3. Double click on ScanPST.exe

4. Browse to locate the PST file that needs to be repaired or physically type its location in the box “Enter the name of the file you want to scan”. If you are not aware of the location of your PST, these steps will help you find it:

a. Launch Outlook

b. Click File -> Info -> Account Settings -> Account Settings -> Data Files

c. Note the path and file name of your .pst file.

d. Click Close -> OK

e. Exit Outlook

5. Click on “Start” to initiate the repair process.

6. Once the process ends, launch Outlook and create a new PST in your profile.

7. Drag the recovered items (these will be present in a ‘Lost and Found’ folder) to your new PST.

Regards,

Alan

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Alan

Yes, I am using Outlook in Office 365 which I subscribe to - not sure what you mean by domain name euphrosene at my first name my last name dot com (sorry I put gmail dot com which is my MS log in email.

I have run scanpst.exe a few times and it has found nothing to repair - and I tried to run scanpst.exe on the ost which seems to be the one the new profiles create but presumably being an ost file it doesn't do anything.

Oddly, I have during these many shenanigans, managed to delete two of the renamed, empty folders and, so far, they have not come back.

The one I renamed zzzz which has a sub-folder (which cannot be deleted or re-named) so far refuses to disappear. Ditto another empty sub-folder though that one did allow me to move it (into another main folder sharing the name (ie Get Togethers. I thought if I couldn't delete it at least I'd try and keep them together!)

The zzzz folder though refuses to play ball.

All very Twilight Zone.

But, as I said, I have now tried to create new profiles - which it does - but which it does not pick up all the current folders/emails. So, for the time being, I will have to grin(!) and bear it or lose information.

But thank you for taking the time to try and help.

Euphrosene

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PS I am confused about various pst ost profile and archive folders/files.

I always export my pst every week which I save on my dekstop - this is the one I tend to treat like the Holy Grail.

I seem to have an archive folder/file from time immemorial - it would not allow itself to scanpst'd.

When I installed Office 365 (and then subsequent differently-named profiles) another file was created - the Outlook Data File - found in PCWIndowssUsersOwnerAppDataLocalMicrosoftOutlook. This too would not be scanpst'd.

To be honest, I haven't the faintest idea which I need so keep them all.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2023 Views 6,254 Applies to: