office 2016 major issues with outlook not opening !

I have just updated to office 2016 through office 365 account -outlook not opening and tried reinstalling etc etc still not working :

Message give :

Outook cannot log on verify you are connected to the network and are using proper service & mailbox name . The Microsoft exchange info service in your profile is missing required information. Modify your profile to ensure that you are using the correct microft information .

System resources are critically low - close some windows.

Cannot start Microsoft outlook

Cannot open outlook window

The set of folders cannot b opened

The info store cannot be opened

PLs pls help immediately - 2 days without email !!!!

|
Answer
Answer

Hopefully this will help - spent the last few hours trying to figure it out.

The problems in our case are related to an incorrectly configured Autodiscover service somewhere out there on the web.  We used to have our domain name hosted on an IMAP/SMTP server setup but moved it over to Office 365 about 3 months ago.   The problem only happens on clients running Outlook 2016 and the problems seem to be intermittent, disappearing for a short while on a clean profile build before eventually returning. 

After running several of the Microsoft troubleshooting tools I wasn't getting any great information but an OffCAT scan drew my attention to the Autodiscover.xml file that was created for the associated account under %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook\16

In my case, I have another Office 365 Exchange account (provided through GoDaddy) that does not exhibit the same behavior as the native Office 365 Exchange account that I was having trouble with.   Looking at the XML between the two AutoD documents it was obvious that the problem account was pulling incorrect settings.

To fix I did the following:  

Open Outlook with a working account or create a dummy POP profile with no information.   Whatever works to get Outlook open and running.   From there, locate the Outlook icon in the system status tray (small icons in the bottom right), hold down CTRL and Right Click.  Select "Test E-Mail AutoConfiguration"

Enter your email address and password and click the test button.  I had a popup asking to allow permission for AutoDiscover which I allowed, and then the test ran to completion.  If everything looks right (there are office365.com settings within the results) click over to the XML tab and CTRL+A, CTRL+C to select/copy everything in it.  

From there, go back to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook\16 and open your problem account XML file in notepad or your favorite simple text editor (NOT Word).   Delete everything within and paste the new information you got from the AutoConfiguration Test.  Save and close.  From this point I was able to reopen Outlook with no problems.  I went ahead and made a backup copy of the XML configuration so I can easily replace it if Outlook decides to grab the wrong AutoDiscover information again.  

Hopefully I can track down where the bad information is coming from - if so I'll update this thread to hopefully help the next person.  

110 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Is your Office 365 subscription the Home or Personal suite or it is a Business suite? Are you using the mailbox hosted on Office365.com or Outlook.com?

When you created your account, how did you do that? Describe the process you took step-by-step.

You can change your account type using the Mail applet in Control Panel. Choose the correct type of account if you are trying to configure it manually.

Brian

102 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2021 Views 62,552 Applies to: