Question

Q: kb3203467 - Outlook 2010 - can't open pptx or docx attachment when mail is formatted in rich text

After applying kb3203467 to Outlook 2010 32bit

a recipient can't open pptx or docx attachment when mail is formatted in rich text.   Neither of which are attachment file types blocked in Outlook

Is this a bug?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Blocked-attachments-in-Outlook-434752E1-02D3-4E90-9124-8B81E49A8519?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3203467/descriptionofthesecurityupdateforoutlook2010june13,2017

Hi,

It's possible that the recipient is using a different version of PowerPoint or Word that's why they cannot open it.

May we ask what is the exact message when the recipient is trying to  open the files?

What version of Office that the recipient is using?

Is this for a specific recipient or all of your contacts that received your files?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gil,

No we all have office 2010 32bit using PowerPoint 2010, Word 2010, Outlook 2010.

The error message:

Outlook 2010 Error: The program used to create this object is Outlook. That program is not installed on your computer or is not responding.  To edit this object , install Outlook or ensure that any dialog boxes in Outlook are closed.

Only tried with a specific recipient.

Sorry this didn't help.

If that's the case, we suggest that you repair your Office 2010 and let's see if that helps fix the issue.

You may refer to the article link below on how you can repair an Office application.

Repair an Office application

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem has been reported here on numerous occasions, its caused by a recent bad win/office update, which MS is aware of

Sorry this didn't help.

Gil,

Repair didn't fix

After remvoing kb3203467 Outllook will open pptx.

Tried with clean install of Windows and office able to open then after applying kb3203467 Outlook will no longer open pptx.

Tried several other people computers and same thing removing kb3203467 Outlook is working properly again

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

It would appear that the Microsoft poster has not been keeping up to date with known bugs in the update

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Just curious, the attachment opens correctly when the format of the email is plain text or HTML doesn't it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not to be negative, but I'm not sure the last time I have seen a non-canned response from a Microsoft poster in any Microsoft forum.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, the PPTX attachment opens if the format is HTML, not sure about Text. I just experienced this with one of my end users. I had him forward the email to himself but changed the format to HTML and he was able to open the attachment right away without sending the file.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 1,703 Last updated: May 22, 2018 Applies to: