Outlook 2013 mapi

Hi, 

I have Outlook 2013 and Sage 50 2013 running on Windows 7.
When i try to email and invoice from sage 50 I get and error message that says
"Sage 50 cannot communicate with your e-mail program. Please ensure that your email program is MAPI-compatable and that it is the default MAPI client."

Sage 50 was working fine with outlook 2007. Since I upgraded I get this message.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Dan

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2020 Views 35,622 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sage will likely need to be updated to work with Outlook 2013. Also, are you sing 32 or 64bit Outlook? It might work with 32-bit, but if not, you'll need to contact Sage for an update.

Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft, I just volunteer here.**

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My outlook is a 32 bit system. Is there any temporary work around as Sage says i wont see any updates till July when there next update comes out?

Sorry this didn't help.

No sorry, there is no way to workaround it directly. If Sage creates an attachment, you could save it and attach it yourself, but if it creates the invoice within the message body there is no way to workaround it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I work for Sage, I'm in technical support. Please, understand I'm not in R&D.

Sage 50 e-mails fine in a using Windows 7 and Windows 8

I say e-mail... but really it's just sending info to the default e-mail program (using MAPI)

It sends fine using Windows Live Mail and Outlook 2007, 2010 & 2013 (32-bit versions)

Now, it works on my computer using Outlook 2013 just fine... But, I think that the "only" reason is because I didn't uninstall my Outlook 2010 yet. I'm scared to. I noticed in "set default programs" that Outlook 2010 is still my default MAPI option and most importantly... I can't change it to 2013. It's not an option.

This is the problem in my opinion. Outlook 2013 is not MAPI compliant... could that be possible? The install didn't make it the default MAPI... why? I can't change it manually... why? Currently, this is why I'm scared to uninstall my Office 2010.

Currently, e-mailing from Sage 50 sends info to the PST using Outlook 2010. When I opened Outlook 2013. The sent message was in the outbox... but it got there using Outlook 2010. I had to reinstall/repair Office when I tried to send e-mail using Sage 50 while my Outlook 2013 was open. It sent to the default MAPI program being Outlook 2010 trying to affect the PST file currently in use (as it was open with my Outlook 2013).

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Dan, you said, "Sage says i wont see any updates till July".

I can't confirm or deny anything. But, personally, I don't think anything will be changed on our end. There is nothing to fix.... in my opinion. I don't see how we can fix anything. Our program works fine like it always has. It sends data to the MAPI default. I'm struggling to find out why I can't ever choose Outlook 2013 as the MAPI default. Once that becaomes an option. Sage 50 will send to it just fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I need to correct myself. I did a few tests. And I have no issues at all.

Well, I could recreate one... But, I won't do it. It's explained here.

My default MAPI "is" Outlook 2013 as it always was since Office 2013 install.

I did have to repair my Office, but it was when my Outlook 2010 was open as I tried to send an e-mail using Sage 50 (as it was tried to correctly send it’s info to Outlook 2013).

I do have reports from 2 colleges that if no previous version of Outlook exists, something regarding MAPI does not work. Sage 50 cannot send to a 32-bit version of Outlook 2013 if no previous version of an Outlook install exists. Microsoft, can you tell me why? How can a lack of a previous version of Outlook change anything regarding MAPI and the ability of Sage 50 to send information to Outlook 2013?

My college is daring me to uninstall my Outlook 2010.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you should uninstall it too. i had a sage rep take control of my computer twice for 2.5 hrs each and they had no luck getting it to work. very poor service for the price they charge. they found nothing wrong with my system.
Let me know how you do?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the problem in my opinion. Outlook 2013 is not MAPI compliant... could that be possible? The install didn't make it the default MAPI... why? I can't change it manually... why? Currently, this is why I'm scared to uninstall my Office 2010.

Currently, e-mailing from Sage 50 sends info to the PST using Outlook 2010. When I opened Outlook 2013. The sent message was in the outbox... but it got there using Outlook 2010. I had to reinstall/repair Office when I tried to send e-mail using Sage 50 while my Outlook 2013 was open. It sent to the default MAPI program being Outlook 2010 trying to affect the PST file currently in use (as it was open with my Outlook 2013).

Outlook 2013 is mapi compliant - but like most apps, Sage needs to update their app to work with the new version. This is nothing against Sage - it's normal with new versions of Outlook. Sometimes 3rd party software works ok with the new outlook but needs tweaked to take full advantage of the features, other times it won't work at all.

Outlook 2013 changes the profile location from Windows Messaging Subsystem to the Office\15.0\Outlook\ key. This affects some 3rd party programs more than others - it really depends on how they check for outlook and if they are checking for Outlook version#.

If Outlook 2013 copied your Outlook 2010 profile, the two profiles are sharing a pst. Because you can only have one Outlook open at a time (even if your profiles aren't sharing a pst), you will need to close Outlook 2013 before using a program that sends email via Outlook 2010.

Sorry this didn't help.

Where I work, we had a very similar issue. We found that if there's any file called webservices.dll, in the directory that the application is running from, then the call to MAPIInitialize fails, (with E_FAIL). This fail only happens when the Outlook client is 2013. There may be other dll names that are now reserved, but that was the one that was causing us the issue. We've now renamed our webservices dll and everything is now S_OK.

Sorry this didn't help.

Any news on the mapi issues with sage and office 2013 ? I Just upgraded and could not get it to work !!

Sorry this didn't help.