How do I set Outlook 2010/2013 to use TLS (STARTTLS) encryption for incoming POP3 email?

How do I set up Outlook 2010 or 2013 to use TLS (STARTTLS) encryption for an incoming POP3 email account (using port 110). It only seems to offer a basic SSL on/off tickbox for incoming mail, but has a full popup menu offering SSL and TLS for outgoing SMTP mail.

I've searched the web and can see how to do it on Outlook 2007, but can't find any help for newer (and presumably more feature-rich?) versions of Outlook.

Thanks,

Andre

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 56,533 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Andre,

As I understand you want TLS encryption for incoming POP3 email.

TLS encryption is not available for incoming POP3 email account. However, if you configure the email account as IMAP, you will get an option to select the TLS encryption for incoming server. You may post your suggestions in the feedback forum link mentioned:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Office/feedback.aspx?formID=375

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you have any other query.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply, what a shame that Microsoft's flagship email software, with 20 years or so of developments and updates, is beaten by a free app on my phone (which does support POP3 TLS fine)!

I've been updating all of my local machines to use more secure POP3 email authentication, something I really should have done some time ago, but Outlook seems to be the stumbling block. I thought about using IMAP, but I am concerned that this basically implies server-side synchronised content management.

To explain: I have several PCs and phones, all of which download emails from the same POP3 account. None of them delete any content from the server on local deletions, and my 'master' machine is set for Outlook to purge the server's inbox of everything in the inbox over 60 days old (by which time all of the devices will have picked up the emails).

It is my understanding that IMAP will try to re-synchronise all of my separate inboxes when messages are deleted from the server after 60 days, which I do not want. I want to manage each inbox independently (the phones only keep a week or two of back messages, the laptop rather longer, and my main PC keeps everything locally, unless I happen to manually delete it).

If I use IMAP just for the available security aspect, how can I set it so it behaves similarly to POP3 in that the server and my various local inboxes are purged independently of each other? (i.e. the server auto-deletes after 60 days, but the various client machine inboxes are configured to have different local retention periods).

Many thanks for your help,

Andre

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andrew,

IMAP account doesn’t suit your requirement.

IMAP account is a mirror image of web-mail hence if you delete any email from web-mail the same will be reflected in Outlook and vice-versa.

Sorry this didn't help.

Quite, exactly what I thought.

Which brings me back to my first question... as you have said, POP3 seems to be required - so how do I get Outlook to access my emails using authentication? (My server requires TLS for secure POP3 access).

I can't believe that a supposedly sophisticated program which has been around, and in constant development by the biggest software company on the planet, for 20 years or so cannot do this when a little freebie email program on a PHONE can do it?!

Here is the general configuration info from my email provider:

---------------------------------

Incoming mail server: mail.cix.co.uk
Incoming Ports: POP3 (port 110) / IMAP (port 143)
Outgoing mail server: mail.cix.co.uk
Outgoing Ports: SMTP (port 25) / Alternative SMTP (port 587 - recommended)
Outgoing Authentication: POP before SMTP / SMTP Auth (recommended)
Outgoing Authentication Method: Password, Plain or Normal Password *1
Username: <hostname> (Your Nickname may differ from your Internet Hostname)
Password: <password> (your mail password may differ from your CIX Conferencing password)
Connection Encryption: STARTTLS

*1. STARTTLS provides encryption for your entire mail session, including the password. There may be other phrases used for Outgoing Authentication Method depending on your mail client, please choose one which does not carry out any specific password encryption otherwise your authentication will fail.
------------------------

Andre

Sorry this didn't help.

Anula has clearly mentioned:

"TLS encryption is not available for incoming POP3 email account. However, if you configure the email account as IMAP, you will get an option to select the TLS encryption for incoming server"

Sorry this is cannot be done nor there is anyworksround for this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, with the recent reported POODLE bug affecting the use of SSL for ports 993 and 995, is Microsoft going to come out with a security solution to address this?  There are already other mail clients having STARTTLS for pop3 and IMAP but unfortunately not for Outlook 2010 and 2013.  Please advise.  Thank you.

88 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre,

As I understand you want TLS encryption for incoming POP3 email.

TLS encryption is not available for incoming POP3 email account. However, if you configure the email account as IMAP, you will get an option to select the TLS encryption for incoming server. You may post your suggestions in the feedback forum link mentioned:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Office/feedback.aspx?formID=375

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you have any other query.

Thank you.

I'm having a problem with this. One of my clients is running Outlook 2010 on multiple computers, some POP3, some IMAP - all configured to use TLS. When I disable SSLv3 on the mail server, no one can check their email using Outlook. Thunderbird has no problems using the exact same settings.

I checked the server logs and it shows that the Outlook users are still checking using SSL, not the selected TLS. Thunderbird is using TLS as it's supposed to. Unfortunately, switching to everyone to Thunderbird, while my preference, is not a viable option.

Can you tell me why this is? Is there a patch coming that will fix this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Andrewilley, can you point me to the config for outlook 2007?  I cannot find it.

TIA

JR

Sorry this didn't help.

Andrewilley, can you point me to the config for outlook 2007?  I cannot find it.

TIA

JR

I just did a quick search, and http://sils.unc.edu/it-services/email-faq/outlook seems to show the options in Outlook 2007.

Andre

Sorry this didn't help.

TIA

JR

I just did a quick search, and http://sils.unc.edu/it-services/email-faq/outlook seems to show the options in Outlook 2007.

Andre

Thank you Andre, unfortunately those settings are for IMAP and I am trying to work through POP3.  We have the majority of our users using POP3 for a variety of reasons and want to disable SSL on our exchange server and use ONLY TLS.  Does not seem to work from our testing.

This link is plaguing me http://www.activeservers.com/Outlook-POP3-TLS.aspx because it shows a screenshot of EXACTLY what I want, but when I open OUtlook settings I DO NOT see these options, especially the encryption type setting for POP3.

JR

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.