Outlook Office 365 Login Popup

Most of my clients have all experienced the same issue recently with Office 365. 
They will log in to their Outlook (2007, 2010, or 2013), have it open for a few seconds or try to send an email and they will get a "Enter Network Password" pop up. 
The pop up is erratic, sometimes it's every 2 seconds or for other users it happens only once an hour. 
Users are on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 (most), yet all experience the same prompt. 

All the Outlook accounts with this problem are POP3 profiles, clients with an Exchange account do NOT experience this issue. 
They are all also in an Active Directory environment.
Under every client's Account Settings > Logon Information, each has the box checked to "Remember Password" which should stop a log in prompt.

I suspect that there is issues with the mail servers, with changes through Office 365. My previous server settings for users were;
Incoming Mail Server: PODxxxxx.outlook.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): PODxxxxx.outlook.com

but I noticed changes through routing on Office 365 last month, April 2013 and adjusted my settings accordingly;
Incoming Mail Server: outlook.office365.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): outlook.office365.com

This seemed to temporarily rectify the issue, but now the prompt is back and I'm at a loss for why.
I'd like to know what changes are being made to Office 365 that are causing this issue, as it's not any hardware or software issues locally. 

I've tried:
1) On Windows 7 machines, running Credential Manager and deleted the credential for BLUPRDxxxx.mailbox.outlook.com. This seemed to work temporarily as well, as it would prompt for a password one time once logging back into Outlook and had no further issues. The pop up appeared the next day.

2) Logging into each users account online at https://login.microsoftonline.com/ , clicking on the Office 365 Settings "gear" symbol, downloads, desktop setup, and run through the download for updates. This also seemed to solve the issue yesterday but the pop up has reappeared today. 

Any suggestions are welcome on other options to try. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Do you find this issue on multiple computers with different users?

How many POP accounts are configured in Outlook?

Are you able to log in to webmail using the email address and password in Outlook?

Try to reset the password and update the same in Outlook and check if it resolves the issue.

If the above steps fail, you may create a new Outlook profile using the article below and check if it works fine:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Raju,

This issue is on multiple computers (Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7) with different users in an active directory environment. 

Each user experiencing these issues has one POP3 account configured in their Outlook. There was no issue with the configuration/settings until the recent changes (in April) with Office 365. I'm not sure what changes could be causing this prompt.

I am able to log in each users account at https://login.microsoftonline.com/, using the same email address and password that is in Outlook. They still can send and receive email in Outlook, it is just delayed by a prompt asking for their password. 

Passwords are not the issue and I've updated all Outlook software.
I shouldn't need to create new Outlook profiles for the users, that is not the issue. 
Users on Exchange profiles do not experience this pop up, I'm assuming this has to do with updates to Microsoft's email encryption process. The server name for Exchange accounts has changed from
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***
to
*** Email address is removed for privacy *** 
For POP3 accounts, the server name has not become encrypted but has stayed at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
This may be the source of the issue.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi WDellinger.

I have the same problem in the same period.
I opened a ticket but I still do not have solved the problem.
Can I ask you kindly if you have the problem resolved?

Thank you very much.
Luca

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

If you are able to log in to webmail using your email address and password you may try to remove and re-add the email account in Outlook and check if it works fine without the password prompt.

I hope the above information helps. Reply if you need further help.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Raju
Thanks for the quick response.
Webmail everything is working properly, run your operation with 40 people is long.
For the moment I have done this by deleting all the files and folders in this folder:
c: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect
For the moment it works, the continuous test.
Thank you very much.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

LucaBudel, how did your solution work?  I have a number of clients who have to use POP accounts with their Office 365 Exchange accounts from within Outlook .  When connecting from within Outlook, just as you described, they continually get password prompts, sometime 2 a day, sometimes 100 a day.  It's horribly annoying for them.  Did deleting all the files and folders in c: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect help?  TIA.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi LucaBudel,

I tried this fix by deleting all the files in this folder:
c: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

It did not work unfortunately. This log in popup is ONLY occurring on my POP3 accounts. Not one of the Microsoft Exchange accounts have had this issue.
This is still an ongoing problem though. All my settings are correct for these accounts as I can send and receive email. The only problem is this log in box prompts the users every few minutes or when they update their folder. 

If anyone has found a fix for this, please let me know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you find a solution for this problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I never found a solution for POP3 accounts. The issue seemed to fix itself on my end. It may have been error popping up from a period of transition between Office 365 accounts.

Either way, all my clients are on ActiveSync or IMAP now and no longer experience this problem. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Though this is an old thread - I'm posting this here because I have been plagued with this type of issue and this thread seems to pop up when searching for a solution near the top.  But none of these solutions work.

My solution in the end was given by the "Send Receive" error in the bottom status bar in Outlook.  A right click gave properties and there was the answer...

An authentication error to a folder that had nothing to do with the users' day to day email.  Seems the user had linked their Outlook to a shared Contact folder or a Calendar view on a SharePoint site - for which they had the credentials when they did it.   Then the credentials changed and the error started to appear.  Outlook is actually prompting for the credentials for the remote share and not their email.  The user missed the distinction because having linked to a folder elsewhere - they never actually used the folder and forgot they had linked to it.  So the fix was either:

- remove the linked folder

or

- update the credentials

In one case when EVERYONE in an organization was affected - it was simply that a share they all used had changed credentials.  For a single user - it was that they had uniquely linked to a folder whose permissions changed.

Hope this helps someone!

Graeme J W Smith

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2021 Views 50,644 Applies to: