Outlook 2013 "The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed"

Since installing Office 2013 update version 15.0.4569.1508, I am getting error message "The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed" when I try to send Outlook mails about 5-10% of all my mails.  The problem does not resolve, and I have to copy the entire prepared mail and start a new one, in order to send.

I have not found any exact pattern of which mails have this problem, but it seems to be related to formatting such as switching to HTML, adding bullets etc during editing, though I have not found a consistent pattern yet.

I have seen other inquiries posted of "The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed" but they seem different from my problem.

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2018 Views 55,436 Applies to:
Answer

I have the same problem after the same update (15.0.4569.1508). The messages affected are the ones that Outlook has automatically saved a draft of while you are editing them. If you create a new message, type quickly, and send before a draft is saved, the message will send fine; however, if you take time to compose the message and Outlook saves a draft for you, the message "The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed" occurs when you try to send it. The message that Outlook thinks has changed is the one in the drafts folder, and the send fails because it cannot delete the draft as part of the send operation. After the first draft has been saved, subsequent draft saves fail, which is why some people have complained that when the draft is re-opened, it does not have the latest edits.

The problem seems to be a new bug in the recent Office 2013 update, and no amount of restarting, reinstalling or repairing will fix it, so don't waste your time pursuing those options. The only work around is to copy your message, delete the draft, start a new message, and paste in the content. What a pain.

For reference, I am running Office 2013 64-bit, Windows 8.1, connecting over IMAP to a corporate Gmail account.

406 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.