I think I have a malware or trojan in my outlook....help getting rid of it, and assessing the damage.

Moved Thread From: Virus and Malware |Other | Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats | Windows 7

Please only respond if you think you can help me ...

I have windows 7 pro 64 bit. Yes, I do have a security on my notebook, Kaspersky Internet Security and it is the all-encompassing. However, for some reason, I either downloaded or it came on in on its own a nasty little malware or trojan, and finally, I am realizing this is what is preventing my outlook from working.

I use outlook mail on my notebook. I don't know what version, frankly, it is the one you download and run on your computer. I bought it along with word 2010 in 2012.

That said, my email server was verizon, and one puts in the settings (pop mail, smtp) and your password and you are all set. It worked great all these years until June 8 when I kept getting this box that pops up every time outlook is open. It says, "Internet Mail" and requests a password, with an icon of a key. I thought I needed to put back in my password. this happened a few times before and I put in my password, not knowing, this was a way to get my email password. I have long since changed my email password, several times. 

However, I cannot get outlook to work, even though it has all the correct settings, because what happens is this box pops up and I realize now, it interrupts the connection to the server. 

I searched the internet to try to find out which trojan or malware this could be, and there are many out there, unfortunately.

I also searched my programs to see if I recognize anything from early June up to June 8 that I don't recognize and can get rid of. I don't see anything.

I am going to do a scan, but I have scanned my notebook since then and it has not gotten rid of this. 

Please, does anyone have any suggestions as to 1) what trojan/malware it is,  and 2) identifying it, how can I get rid of it?

Thank you very much,

please, just if you can help. I don't need a lot of graphics, just what will point me in the right direction.

PS -- I also notice it seems like someone is moving my screen up or down, making the font big and small. I feel like I am going crazy. 

Gina 

Question Info

Last updated November 28, 2018 Views 422 Applies to:
Hi Gina,  

Do you get “Enter your user name and password for the following server” error message or prompt?

If yes, you may try the suggestion given by Mukherjee Ashutosh on July 15 2011 and check if it helps.

Reference: You may also refer to the below article and check if it helps.

For issues with screen flickering, you may post your query in the windows forum.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Gina,  

Do you get “Enter your user name and password for the following server” error message or prompt?

If yes, you may try the suggestion given by Mukherjee Ashutosh on July 15 2011 and check if it helps.

Reference: You may also refer to the below article and check if it helps.

For issues with screen flickering, you may post your query in the windows forum.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for helping. I took a screen shot of the box, and I hope this will work out to show. What makes me think this is a trojan or other malware is that there is no name, it doesn't say "outlook" it just says "internet email" with the lock icon, and the place to put in password and "password" so I don't think this is part of outlook. I am so annoyed that I didn't catch on to this sooner. I've never had problems with outlook and I think this box actually prevents the program from sending and receiving mail, though I'm sure I have all the settings etc. correct.

Thanks

Here goes: 

thanks I appreciate your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I read the first two pages of that long thread. It seems that A WHOLE LOT of people are having trouble with that. I tried one person's suggestion, about which radio boxes to check. That did not work.

Given that SO MANY PEOPLE are having issues with this, and it seems that it occurs after a change in servers, or a change such as transferring files from desktop to notebook, this is a microsoft issue.

WHY DON'T they provide some REAL solutions? 

I see people trying this and that and then getting back online and saying "spoke too soon..." I read that about creating a new profile.

I'm not sure how to do that, it can't be that hard. But I do not want a new email created, a different one, that defeats the purpose.

I see this problem happening with att and cox and other servers, SO IT IS NOT a server issue. 

I got excellent graphic directions so easy to follow from aol, and am so grateful. Those are correct, and by now I'm conversant with THAT. But whatever it is to do with outlook is a nightmare. Some things work for some but not for others. 

I wish I had not bought this. This is software one pay a lot for, and it should work and anyone who runs into problems like this, that impact so many, and has been so difficult to fix, should be something that microsoft will help and not ask for $150 which is what one microsoft person told me when I called Thursday. So I have to pay $150 for help? 

And it was he who said it was a virus. I had to agree, because nothign seems to help.

shame on microsoft. 

Sorry this didn't help.