Edit a member of a contact group

I must be missing something - I need to update an email address for a member in a contact group - how do I do this??

Thanks so much for any help!

Tammy

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2020 Views 1,678 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Just to recap all of this for the cummunity at large

The issue stems from OL'2013/OL'2016 employing "Contact Cards". When clicking on a an adhoc group member (ad-hoc = a group member which is not a contact item), a contact card opens that only allows the member to be added as an actual contact.

The solution to the issue is to revert OL'2013/'2016 to use the "Legacy Contact" option via the following registry entry which results in the actual contact screen to option for existing contacts (as opposed to a contact card requiring click on "edit source") or a window for ad-hoc members allowing you to change the name and/or email address.

Registry Entry for OL'2016

-----------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Contactcard]
"turnonlegacygaldialog"=dword:00000001

Registry Entry for OL'2013

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Contactcard]
"turnonlegacygaldialog"=dword:00000001

There is no need to use RegEdit to implement the above. Simply copy the applicable info that appears between the two lines (but NOT including the lines) into any "text editor) (i.e. Notepad) and save the text file with a <.reg> extension. After the file is saved, just double-click on it, answer yes to the questions asked --> done.

Finally, for everyone's convenience, have also added a UserVoice suggestion regarding this issue which can be found at 

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/18779833-enable-editing-of-ad-hoc-contact-group-members

Strongly urge every one who has an interest in this to cast a vote along with any comments they may wish to add. The more people that vote, the more comments made, the faster it will gain attention. (yes MS actually does review items added to UserVoice and also pays attention to the number of votes any particular topic receives). As it stands right now, only 616 people have viewed this topic in the forum since Oct '2013 (at the time I was writing this) - not particularly an over-whelming number in the scheme of things IMHO)

Finally, if someone would be so kind as to mark this post as an"Answer" once they confirm it resolves the issue for them - would be much appreciated only for the simple reason it will help others just coming to this thread from having to waste time wading through 4 pages of responses. Not a request I normally make but it would help others. Even community moderators can't mark their own post as an answer.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]
http://www.contactgenie.info

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.