Outlook 365 is corrupting all attachments

Hi there,

I have recently started having a major problem with my Outlook 365.  I am running Windows 8 and have Office 365 installed.  Everything has been running smoothly until about 2 weeks ago or so, Outlook just seems to be corrupting all attachments (not just the Word / Excel ones).  See screenshot below for an example of a pdf.  I have tried everything to try and fix it and am at my wits end.  I have tried completely deleting Office and reinstalling.  Deleting Norton 360 and reinstalling, deleting Adobe and reinstalling.  I have checked the Trust Settings in Word and Excel and nothing is ticked.  This is really affecting my ability to work (as you can imagine.

The files work fine and can be opened when I open them on my iPhone, so I know it's not the senders fault.  They also work fine when I open them via my online mailbox.  So Outlook is doing something to them, but I cannot figure out what.

Please help!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Do they open correctly if you start Outlook in Safe mode? To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok. 

What type of email account do you use? 

Diane Poremsky [M365 Apps & Services MVP]
My specialty is Outlook and Microsoft 365 issues.
https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net
Mark Yes below if it helped or resolved your issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ah yeah, sorry forgot to mention that thing that I have tried. :)

I had already tried that and no, they don't open when Outlook is in safe mode. :(  Wish they did. :)

The email account is IMAP/SMTP (it's a ...@me.com address)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Please provide more information before we proceed. 

1. What happens when you save the attachments on your computer and then open these files? Are you able to open the files fine?

2. If not checked so far try saving the attachment received in Outlook to the desktop or some other place on the computer. Check if you are able to open the saved file by directly double-clicking on the file.

3. Right click on the Outlook attachments and click on Preview and check if you are able to preview the attachments in Outlook.

4. Login to webmail and then try opening the PDF attachments from webmail and check they open fine. 

Check the above and let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there and thanks for your answer.  In answer to those questions:

1.  The files are corrupted.  I cannot open them.  I have tried opening them in different programs (such as pdfs by viewer and Adobe Reader) and tried opening them as administrator etc.

2.  I have tried doing that.  I have two hard drives and I have even tried saving them to the other hard drive to see if that may work.

3. I cannot preview.  It says the attachment is corrupted.

4.  I have logged into webmail and they work fine.  I can open or preview anything.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the identical problem and like you have tried all sorts of solutions and re-installations. I too have a me.com email account but use AVG not Norton and windows 8

As you note as soon as the attachment comes through outlook it's corrupted even embedded jpg's are damaged

Down load them on your phone app or direct through a web browser or on someone else laptop etc no problem. You cannot even forward the attachment without it being corrupted even if you do not open it first

The only other coincidental problem I have is with dropbox so I do not know if it is something to do with the temp folder but I have tried to change permissions on that so access is available to all

Regards

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's nice to know I am not alone with this problem. :)

You are right about the embedded jpg's getting corrupted as well.  Usually I can see the top bit of it, but after that it's just black or "corrupted colour".

It would be nice to get it resolved.  So far only questions (which I have answered), no solutions.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems a similar problem had occurred before something to do with ascii and carriage returns being read wrongly by older outlooks and one post even saying it was a known issue is some versions of Outlook 2010 and 2013 but no resolution

Someone said just downloading headers 1st made it work as a temporary solution but I could not find this option

I am a bit suspicious as we both have Apple accounts and a new IOS has come out

I have deleted all add-ons and even stopped AVG but no improvement

A friend sent a powerpoint file attachment made from Apple and that half worked

I can go back a few weeks and those old attachments still open

Did you try zipped files ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's nice to know I am not alone with this problem. :)

You are right about the embedded jpg's getting corrupted as well.  Usually I can see the top bit of it, but after that it's just black or "corrupted colour".

It would be nice to get it resolved.  So far only questions (which I have answered), no solutions.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your response and for sending us the information we requested.

The issue may arise if the current Outlook profile is corrupt. Let us follow these steps.

We shall create a new Outlook Profile and test if the issue resolves. Please follow these steps from the article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

After creating the new Outlook Profile, setup your IMAP email account/s again in the new Profile.

To setup the email account/s in the new Outlook profile refer the section How to set up an email account in the above article.

After setting up your email account/s in the new Profile, make sure to follow the step: Turn on or off profile prompt from the instructions in the above mentioned article and make your new Profile as the default Profile (on the same window follow the steps Set a default profile). After these steps are completed – close and reopen Outlook 2013. It should open in the new Profile. Allow your IMAP account to complete the initial synchronization with the IMAP server. This may take a few minutes or an hour or even a few hours to complete depending upon the number of emails in your IMAP account.

Now check if you are able to open your email attachments normally in Outlook 2013. In case the new Profile does not work you can switch back and set your old Profile as default again.

Please try the above and let us know the result.

Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems a similar problem had occurred before something to do with ascii and carriage returns being read wrongly by older outlooks and one post even saying it was a known issue is some versions of Outlook 2010 and 2013 but no resolution

Someone said just downloading headers 1st made it work as a temporary solution but I could not find this option

I am a bit suspicious as we both have Apple accounts and a new IOS has come out

I have deleted all add-ons and even stopped AVG but no improvement

A friend sent a powerpoint file attachment made from Apple and that half worked

I can go back a few weeks and those old attachments still open

Did you try zipped files ?

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your response.

I would also suggest you to try creating a new Profile in Outlook 2013 and check if the issue resolves in the new Profile. The issue may arise if the current Outlook profile is corrupt. Let us follow these steps.

We shall create a new Outlook Profile and test if the issue resolves. Please follow these steps from the article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

After creating the new Outlook Profile, setup your IMAP email account/s again in the new Profile.

To setup the email account/s in the new Outlook profile refer the section How to set up an email account in the above article.

After setting up your email account/s in the new Profile, make sure to follow the step: Turn on or off profile prompt from the instructions in the above mentioned article and make your new Profile as the default Profile (on the same window follow the steps Set a default profile). After these steps are completed – close and reopen Outlook 2013. It should open in the new Profile. Allow your IMAP account to complete the initial synchronization with the IMAP server. This may take a few minutes or an hour or even a few hours to complete depending upon the number of emails in your IMAP account.

Check if this resolves the issue in Outlook 2013. In case the new Profile does not work you can switch back and set your old Profile as default again.

Please try the above and let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

MAny thanks for surgestion but unfortunately did not work

In the New profile all attachments going back several years are also corrupted where at least in my old default outlook profile its just a few weeks

FYI I also switched off my antivirus whilst trying the new profile just in case this was having some influence

Regards

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 12,052 Applies to: