Outlook folders keep reappearing after deletion

I need help with this please.

I am using Microsoft Outlook on my laptop as part of Microsoft Office 2016.  I am attempting to delete some folders I no longer need, but within seconds of deleting them, they reappear.  I have been onto my internet service providers webmail site and checked that the folders have been deleted there, which they have.

I have tried deleting my account from Microsoft Outlook and adding it again, but the folders keep appearing.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Let’s refer to the suggestions from the below article Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)  to repair Outlook data file and check if it helps

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-64842a0a-658a-4324-acc6-ef0a6e3567cd

Once the data file is repaired you may try deleting the folders or emails and verify the results.

Hope it helps. Try the suggestions and let us know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you.

I have located Scanpst.exe in the Program Files folder.  However, it is asking me for the file I wish to scan, i.e.:

'In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, enter the name of the .pst file you want the tool to check, or clickBrowse to select the file.'

Please can you advise me which file I need to select?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Outlook, click File>Account Settings>Account Settings. Select the Data Files tab. Those are the data files you should be scanning. Note their locations. Then close Outlook and scan them with SCANPST.EXE
Brian

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Brian, that has enabled me to locate the files and undertake the repair process.

Prabhavathi, unfortunately, having run the repair process you suggested, it is still not possible to delete the outlook folders without them reappearing almost straight away.  The deleted folder does go the the 'Deleted' folder, but then a new folder with the same name takes it's place.

Can you suggest anything else please?

Peter

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've managed to solve this now Prabhavathi and Brian.  Thank you both for your help.

The email account is IMAP/SMTP and I've unsubscribed to the folders, which has enabled me to delete them.  To do this, I right-clicked on the folder, went to IMAP and then selected the folders and unsubscribed form them.

Pete

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2021 Views 3,355 Applies to: