Outlook 2016 mail file corruption and management in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (retina display) and use Parallels for Windows and MS Office for the last 3 years. 

I used to run Windows 8.1 Pro and Office 2013 Pro for several years without issue.   In this setup I used Outlook with 1x Exchange account (work e-mail) and 2x GMail with POP config and local .pst files.

A couple of months ago I upgraded to Windows 10 and subscribed to Office365 Business (Office 2013) with the above e-mail setup in Outlook, and all worked fine until last week Thursday.

Note that, for all of the above mentioned time and configurations, I used to save the .ost file (Exchange account) and .pst files (GMail POP3 accounts) in a Dropbox folder.  Windows saw this folder as a "network" location as the Dropbox folder was created and managed on the Macbook Pro, but in OSX and not in Windows.

When the problems started, Outlook would give me an error message that stated that the .ost and/or .pst files are not recognised as an Outlook file and that the application could not be opened.  I tried several fixes posted on Microsoft and/or other websites, including (but not limited to):

* using scanpst.exe - which would completely "destroy the .ost or .pst file requiring that I restore a .pst backup or create and download a new .ost file

* creating a new Outlook profile and linking existing .pst files or creating new .pst files and restoring .ost file from the Office 365 server

* running the MicrosoftEasyFix20101.mini application without success

*  installing and running the Office 365 Recovery Assistant Setup without success.

In all of the above instances the .pst and/or .ost files would corrupt on the first opening of OUtlook after executing the repairs.

Out of desparation I then created a new VM in Parallels with clean install of Windows 10 and Office 365.  Note that NO other software was installed (e.g. AntiVirus, Adobe Acrobat Pro, HP Printer software, etc).

In this new installation I would use the Outlook Account Setup feature to setup e-mail accounts.  In all instances I am able to setup only one working e-mail account with its local mail file (.pst or .ost).  On trying to create the second mail account Outlook 2016 experiences a "critical error", which causes the application to shutdown.  When I re-start the application the local mail files (.ost or .pst) of the created e-mail accounts can be located, but Outlook does not recognise the files as valid mail files.

I then created another Parallels VM with Windows 8.1 Pro (including updates) and installed Office 2016.  I am now able to setup all the e-mail accounts (1x Exchange with .ost file and 2x GMail POP3 with .pst files).  However, when I move the created .pst files from the default Outlook save location to my Dropbox folder and try to point Outlook to the new file locations the software again gives the "critical error" message and hangs up.  When I move the .pst files back to the default saving location and try to open it again with Outlook 2016 the files are corrupted and Outlook does not recognise the files.  If I then run scanpst.exe to repair the files they are completely destroyed and all e-mail, calender and contact information is deleted.

Note that I have installed no other software required (e.g. Adove Acrobat Pro, Adobe Photoshop, HP printer software/drivers, AntiVirus software) out of fear that something will break again and prevent me from accessing e-mails and working.

What I cannot understand, and would like resolution for are the following:

1. Why would Outlook 2016 in Windows 10 suddenly experience the problems since Thursday last week?  I have made no changes to my setup, e.g. installing or uninstalling software etc.  I cannot determine whether Windows 10 and/or Office 2016 ran updates as MS does not allow user the functionality to manage updates like in previous versions of the OS.

2. Although I have managed to get Outlook 2016 working in Windows 8.1 Pro again, why am I unable to move or change the saved locations of .pst (and .ost) files like I was able to do up to Thursday last week.

Answer
Answer

1) As mentioned in my first post, I ran Windows and Office with Outlook files saved in the "network" Dropbox folder on my Mac/OSX HDD for more than 3 years without any issues.  It is only since Thursday last week that Outlook suddenly cannot see or open the Outlook files in the "network" location.

2) I dont have any proof, but I have a very strong suspicion that there is/was an MS update on Windows 10 and/or Office 2016 last week (over which I have no control with MS's new update policy) that caused the problems.

1) It doesn't matter that it worked for you for more than 3 years, it isn't a supported configuration and you simply might have dodged the bullet for 3 years. It might have gone right as long as you didn't connect to the files from a different location so there weren't any changes to download (which means a full file sync). Additionally see: Synching pst-files via OneDrive or Dropbox.

In your case, the problem is even bigger since the location mapped as a network drive which results in a different I/O stream which also isn't supported for ost- and pst-files.

2) No updates were pushed last week that affected Outlook 2016 running on Windows 10.

You really need to get yourself into a supported state again first. That means that the pst-files and ost-files that you want to connect to need to be located on the local drive. In a virtualized environment this means the virtual local disk within the VM itself and not even on the host. Additionally, these files need to be located in a folder that doesn't sync with any server or cloud based storage service. You can of course create backups of these files to these storage locations as long as these are full file copies and are being copied while Outlook is closed.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

It is hard to say why it used to work for you as there are so many variables at play. Most often it is I/O and latency related. Outlook is able to write much faster to the files and the Search Indexer of Windows also expects the data to be local; A network I/O stream has too much overhead.

Backups should of course at least be stored on a different physical disk. As these are mere file-copies, they can be located anywhere that is convenient to you. Cloud storage might not be optimal when you have a slow connection and large files though. A backup of the ost-file of an Exchange mailbox isn't needed since that file is only a local cache and not a "standalone" recoverable file.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2021 Views 1,122 Applies to: