Problem with email folders renamed with the suffix "This computer only". Cannot synchronize to IMAP.

My company recently switched service providers and consequently decided to use IMAP email instead of POP. I successfully created the IMAP account in Outlook 2013 for all users and assumed that I could drag and drop folders from the original POP pst file to the new IMAP OST. One particular user in my company probably has more than a thousand folders in his Inbox. After moving ALL of the folders (unfortunately there is no ability to select multiple folders in Outlook), I found that the overwhelming majority of folders (all but 12) were automatically renamed with the suffix "(This computer only)". I have searched online and looked throughout Outlook to find a way to synchronize the folders to the IMAP server but it seems that it may not be possible. I did manually drag one of the folders back to the PST, manually removed the suffix of "(This computer only)", and dragged it back to the IMAP OST and it worked. I was hoping that you could offer a simpler solution. The large number of folders would make it extremely time consuming to do this manually. It was made even more time consuming by the fact that Outlook automatically added the suffix to the end of each folder and did not automatically remove it when moving back to the PST. Any help would be most appreciated.

Hi,

This is caused because of two different data files added, So the System for its understanding adding the Prefix, Helps users as well, In some scenarios, 

Hope all export is done, So at this point to resolve this, Please follow below steps.

1. Close Outlook.

2. Open Windows Explorer, Search %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook

3. Delete the IMAP ost.

4. Reopen Outlook, this creates a new Offline folder.

You need also make sure that you need to set the pst folder as Default, to do so : Go to File, Account Settings, Data Files tab : Set the pst as the default.

Please feel free to post back for any questions,.

If resolved, Please remember to mark this post as Helpful & Solved.

Thanks,

Kingson Jebaraj

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Do you have any updates, Was the information provided above helpful in solving this issue?

Thanks,

Kingson

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My concern with deleting the OST is that ALL of the emails that seem to be sitting in the OST and not transferring to the IMAP email would be lost. I have setup a second computer with the same IMAP email and confirmed that all of the of the email marked as (this computer only) on the first computer is not visible on the second computer. Can you assure me that the years worth of emails in question will not be lost forever when deleting the OST?

The only thing I can think of would be to manually move all of the local email folders labelled (this computer only) to the PST, then delete the OST, manually rename over one thousand folders to get rid of the suffix (this computer only), and then then attempt for the second time to move the files back to the OST and hope that whatever tripped up the process the first time doesn't trip it up a second time.

The PST is set as the default data file. Outlook apparently will not even allow me to choose the OST as the default.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2024 Views 186 Applies to: