Outlook Calendar Recurrance Problem

I've been trying to add FATHER'S DAY to my Outlook Calendar.  Father's Day is the 3rd Sunday in June.  When I add it to this year (2015) and use the RECURRANCE feature, Outlook schedules all future Father's Day on June 21 of each year (instead of on the 3rd Sunday).  When I review the recurrence in Outlook, it shows June 21 of each year instead of the 3rd Sunday in June.

Also, I use the iCloud to sync between Outlook Calendar and my iPhone/iPads.  This works just fine.  So, if I add Father's day on the 3rd Sunday of June and use Recurrence to add it to all future years, it works fine for all my IOS devices.  However, when I open Outlook on my PC, only the first occurrence is correct and all future occurrences in Outlook are on June 21 (instead of on the 3rd Sunday of June).   

Anyone have a similar problem or a solution for this?

Question Info

Last updated December 2, 2019 Views 2,533 Applies to:
Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Is the recurring appointment created under the default Outlook calendar or in the iCloud Calendar?

Let us create a new recurring appointment under the default Outlook calendar and check the behavior.

To do that, do the following.
Create a new appointment.
Now click on ‘Recurrence’ in the ‘RECURRING EVENT’ tab.
In the Appointment Recurrence window, under Recurrence pattern, select the radio button for 'Yearly' and then the radio button for 'On the’.
Now set the recurrence pattern according to the week you want and click OK and save the appointment.

Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the very same issue with Father's Day.

Upon adding a longstanding calendar to iCloud and reviewing problem entries the Father's Day recurrence was established from 15.06.1980 to recur annually on the 3rd Sunday. This is set correctly on the iCloud (iCloud for Windows V4.1) calendar (iCal) and on the iPhone 6 (IOS 8.4.1).

The PC is running Windows (10 64) Bit with Office 2013 (64 Bit) all software is fully updated. The iCloud control panel has populated the calendar in Outlook and I have made a number of corrections and revisions (including categorizing calendar entries) without issue and these have reflected across the devices.

The Father's day entry however just WILL NOT correct in Outlook 2013. I have tried:

• 1. Deleting from the iCloud Calendar and recreating - Appears on all 3 (iCloud, iPhone & Outlook) calendars

• 2. Deleting from Outlook's iCloud Calendar and recreating - Once again appears on all 3 calendars

In each case above the Outlook recurrence is set to the ORIGINAL date (day) AND NOT the set recurrence of yearly, 3rd Sunday in June. Notice that when setting the recurrence in Outlook and saving the entry all is acknowledged however on reopening the entry it is clear that this has not been held and so its recurrence it has been set (reset) as 15th June annually.

Are we missing something here??

All advice much appreciated.....

PC Pilot

Sorry this didn't help.

Update,

Followed Harsha Rasquinha's suggestion to create the entry in Outlook's default calendar (which at this time is empty) and the recurrence appears correctly in this calendar.........

I then verified that all other recurrences relating to UK Public Holidays (on the 'first' or 'last' Monday of a given month annually) DO appear correctly in Outlook's iCloud calendar.........

Confused now with this specific behaviour pattern relating to the '3rd Sunday' recurring event and as evidenced by Toms48 I am not alone here!!

I look forward to hearing any suggestions to resolve.

PC Pilot

Sorry this didn't help.

Further Update.....

Now checked the calendars again and also found that the same issue occurs with both the start and end of British Summer (Daylight Saving Time) which occurs on the last Sunday in March and October and also the UK Public Holidays (1st & last Mondays). Please note that this corrects my earlier post which was an error on my part in reviewing the WRONG calendar and so it would appear that the behaviour here afflicts ALL specially recurring events which follow the same pattern as reported for Father's day (i.e. Correct in iCloud and iPhone but defaulting to the daily 'date' of the STARTING entry irrespective of whether that falls on the appropriate day (Sunday, Monday or whatever) or not.

Any attempts to revise as from within Outlook or iCloud result in the same behaviour pattern (i.e. selecting the 'On the' radio button and then setting the recurrence pattern according to the week required and clicking OK then saving the appointment) with the entry's radio button set to 'On' ....Date and NOT as saved when reviewed subsequently :( 

Not sure if this is either relevant or indeed whether it is the intended iCloud Outlook addin behaviour but I have also noted that the 'Event' Windows differ between the Outlook default and Outlook iCloud calendars:

• Tabs on the default calendar - File, Event, Insert, Format Text, Review & Developer
  • Tabs on the iCloud Outlook calendar - File, Event, Developer

Additionally, the layout of the ribbons appears different with different buttons in different places!

I hope that this additional information is helpful in diagnosing the issues at work here.

PC Pilot

Sorry this didn't help.

This drove me crazy as well. However, I was able to fix it by using "every 12 months" instead of the "yearly" option. It's something with how iCloud interprets certain Outlook (I have 2010) recurring events. If you do an "active" view of your calendar events, you will see recurring events go from plain language "second sunday of May" (US mother's day) to something like "freq=yearly, byday=2su, bymonth=5" after you sync Outlook to iCloud. 

Anyway, Outlook can't seem to properly parse the "freq=yearly" field though, as stated above, it will be correct on your iDevice and iCloud. Probably has something to do with that special appointment form the iCloud control panel installs (doesn't support rich text, etc). 

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, PC Pilot!  Your suggestion of using "every 12 months" instead of the "yearly" option works!  I appreciate your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same issue.  iCloud and Outlook 2016 and iPhone/iPad all sync with each other.  Using every 12 months worked instead of yearly.  Thanks for this workaround.  But this is ridiculous!  It's an outright bug.  Don't know if this is an Apple or Microsoft issue, but somebody should fix this asap.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Holy ****!  been looking for a fix to this forever!   Thanks!

I would have never though that Apple and Microsoft could disagree on what a year is!

Sorry this didn't help.

Holy ****!  been looking for a fix to this forever!   Thanks!

I would have never though that Apple and Microsoft could disagree on what a year is!

Hi Mmaro,

.......glad that you discovered the fix😃

I have provided feedback to both MS and Apple but it seems that it is not being communicated to the Tech Support teams to resolve customer issues. Can't imagine why....fix is so simple....and a permanent resolution.

.....Perhaps you could add your weight to the feedback with MS & Apple....

Best Regards,

PC Pilot

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same issue.  iCloud and Outlook 2016 and iPhone/iPad all sync with each other.  Using every 12 months worked instead of yearly.  Thanks for this workaround.  But this is ridiculous!  It's an outright bug.  Don't know if this is an Apple or Microsoft issue, but somebody should fix this asap.
Legend !!!!  Thank you .....

Sorry this didn't help.