Outlook 2013 expand/collapse defaults in view settings don't work, at least for tasks

For Outlook 2013 tasks, the expand/collapse defaults don't work. For example, if I choose "all collapsed" as the default, Outlook reverts to all expanded or as last viewed.

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2019 Views 15,135 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Collin,

How did you set ‘Collapse All Groups’ as default?

By default Outlook would always take the last viewed when you close and restart Outlook application.

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply.

To set "collapse all" as the default for tasks (I'm using the simple list view), under the view tab > view settings > group by..., I select "all collapsed" as the expand/collapse default. Note that I'm grouping tasks by categories.

Outlook then overrides the "all collapsed" setting and changes it to "as last viewed" or "all expanded." This issue arose when I moved from Outlook 2010 to 2013. Essentially the "all collapsed" setting doesn't "stick"--it is overridden.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Collin,

You may create a new Outlook profile using the following link to check if it’s an issue with profile corruption.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

I hope it helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. Did Raju's suggestion to create a new Outlook profile fix it?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

It unfortunately didn't fix the problem, which I am still dealing with.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is still a problem, and it is definitely not a profile corruption.  Outlook just doesn't preserve the settings and it is incredibly frustrating.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

...Outlook just doesn't preserve the settings and it is incredibly frustrating.

Did anyone find a solution for that or is it still a problem which has to be solved through MS?

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally agree with everyone who is having problems with the collapse/expand defaults issue.  I am also having the same problem.  Every time I get into Outlook, or every time I expand a group, this so called "default" setting reverts back to "as last viewed," even though I had set it to "all collapsed" in my previous Outlook session.  By definition, if it is a "default" setting, then it should NOT change.  This is truly a "bug," and Microsoft needs to fix it.  I really wish that Microsoft would start listening to the users!

Another issue, which is related to this problem, is that the behavior of all incoming messages is totally dependent upon this fickle "default" setting.  As a result, every time I get into outlook (or whenever I have expanded any group), I have to go back into View settings.../Group By.../Expand-Collapse defaults... and change the setting back to "All collapsed" if I want my incoming messages collapsed when they come into my inbox.  This is VERY annoying!  In previous versions of Outlook (e.g. Outlook 2002), all messages came in collapsed, regardless of whether or not any of the other messages in the inbox were expanded or collapsed.  This is the way it should be in Outlook 2013, but it is isn't.  This is yet another "bug," which Microsoft needs to fix.

Apparently Microsoft has completely changed the expand/collapse behavior of groups in Outlook 2013.  In the process, they made a complete mess of it.  They need to go back to basics and change it back to the way it worked in Outlook 2002.  I don't know about anyone else, but I had no problems with the way it worked in Outlook 2002.  I don't know why Microsoft isn't listening to the users on this issue.  It's VERY annoying!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

By default Outlook would always take the last viewed when you close and restart Outlook application.

This is precisely the problem.   If the user is allowed to change the "default" setting to "all expanded" or "all collapsed," then why is Outlook changing it back to "as last viewed" when it's closed and restarted?  This so-called user-defined "default" setting should be saved to whatever the user specifies, NOT to what Outlook specifies.  Otherwise, the whole process of allowing the user to define this "default" setting is totally meaningless, as well as misleading! 

This is truly a "bug," and Microsoft needs to fix it.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

OMG I think I found the answer! Go into View Settings, Group By, and change the Select Available Fields From dropdown box on the bottom left to "All Mail fields". I have mine just grouped on From and it's finally (so far?) working with the default "last viewed". But if you go back into the Group By settings it reverts to "frequently used fields" so you'll have to re-set it if you make a change.  :)

36 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.