Where does Outlook 2016 store profiles?

Hi all,

Slightly strange one potentially.

I had to change mail hosts etc and it made sense creating a new profile under Mail (control panel)

I noticed despite ticking the box to ask which profile to load, Outlook did not display the new profile.  So I created a new profile from the choose profile screen when launching Outlook.

That profile did not show under Mail however it clearly worked and I could create my IMAP accounts within it.

Now due to some cleaning up, I decided I want to delete the old Outlook profile which is in Mail, and also the new one to then create a fresh new one and only one profile.

Deleted "Outlook" from Mail... but it still is selectable in the dropdown list in Outlook when launching.

Whats more annoying is the temp one I created via the outlook choose a profile screen is also there.  So how the heck do I delete the new profile given it doesnt show under Mail (though works perfectly currently) and how do I get rid of the original Outlook profile despite having deleted the Outlook profile under Mail in control panel?

I have confirmed currently there are NO profiles under Mail in Control Panel.

Thanks all

Question Info

Last updated February 8, 2019 Views 20,638 Applies to:

Actually after hunting around, I think I've found the way to get rid via regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles

Version 16.0 for 2016 but older you go, older that version I guess

Once I deleted both profiles, rebooted, launched Outlook and voila, please create a profile.

What is interesting however is that the new profile I just created does NOT appear in Control Panel > Mail.

Unsure whether this is an office issue or Win 10 issue but maybe the Mail icon is now for the built in Mail app in Win10 ?

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If the mail applet doesn't show in Control Panel, when viewed by large icons, then your office installation is damaged

Sorry this didn't help.

The applet shows, it just doesnt show any profiles within it despite Outlook clearly working off a profile

Sorry this didn't help.

Still means the installation is damaged

You might also want to run the system file checker, sfc

Sorry this didn't help.

Works like a charm! I encountered this issue originally after trying to set up my Office 365 Email through GoDaddy using the GoDaddy Outlook Setup Wizard. 

I followed the instructions below to delete the registry folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles

If anyone doesn't know how to open REGEDIT , here is a great article that shows you how. 

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/learn-how-use-windows-registry-editor-regedit-one-easy-lesson.htm

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.