Unable to drag and drop emails, tasks or attachments in Outlook

Update: 12/13/2016

The update that includes the fix for this issue has been released. Please see this page for more information: December 13, 2016—KB3206632 (OS Build 14393.576)

***************************************************************************************************************

Update: 10/18/2016

Hi everyone,

Quick update on this issue - the team has identified the root cause and has a fix scheduled for mid-December. I will update this post as I receive more information. Our apologies again for the inconvenience this issue has caused. We appreciate your patience and all the feedback and comments.

***********************************************************************************************************************

After the Windows 10 Anniversary update, you may not be able to drag and drop emails, tasks or attachments in all Outlook versions, such as 2010, 2013 or 2016. You might also experience this issue in Thunderbird.

On behalf of the Office Team, we apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused. We’re actively investigating the issue and working on releasing a fix as quickly as possible.

We’ll post back as soon as we have a confirmed resolution and release date.

Thank you,

Anahita

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Come on guys, this is becoming a productivity issue.  What's the fix??

I think a fix has been releasead... I updated yesterday, and now the issue is not present any more.

I still have some serious performance issues with Outlook (especially when popup suggesting addresses appear). But the drag&drop appears to be fixed, at least on my machine.

I have updated , but the issue still persists.

I believe I have all the updates and still have this super annoying issue!

Please, I need a solution badly, this is impairing my productivity big time!

Problem still exist, nothing solved  .....  can't beleave this, damn
it won't let me save nor print please do something asap
That sounds like a completely different issue. The issue here is that you cannot grab an item to drag it. If you are super patient and keep trying you will eventually be able to drag and drop. Since printing and saving or done through context menus there is no dragging necessary.
i am having an issue similar with dragging and dropping document files...sometimes it will not drag them.. sometimes it will , but then automatically opens the folder that i dragged it to , forcing me to reopen the folder i was just in over and over again.. many problems related to the cursor  going on in here it seems
There is a telltale sign if it's the same issue. When you start dragging something it will show you the "Not OK" symbol (circle with a line through it) while it is still hovering over itself. You only have to try to drag one pixel for that icon to display. If that icon displays and immediately goes away, and if you continue trying to do this until the icon stays and then you can successfully drag it to where you want, then it is definitely the same problem. So far I can only demonstrate this issue in Outlook 2016, but I have to believe it applies to other applications and scenarios. If you can confirm this, it could help MS debug the problem.
when it comes to dragging -whether in outlook or system files.-. the problem for me, is that it opens the item on a single click,  so i cannot move it if it's open ... i have my files set to open on double click .. i will not recognize this configuration any more.. ever since i upgraded to 10, it opens everything on a single click...couple that with the highlighting text (with the left mouse button) and not being able to keep it highlighted problem.. it seems they are related to the left click of the mouse not working correctly...

Discussion Info

Last updated October 20, 2020 Views 9,651 Applies to: