Outlook sends Mail very slow to Office365

Hi community,

I have a big problem with Outlook and Office 365.

In one location with a very good internet connection (100Mbit up, 40Mbit down)  sending mails with Outlook 2010/2013/2016 is very slow. The upload Speed to the datacenter is only about 80KBit/sec. When sending mails with OWA or uploading files to Onedrive the speed is fine.

We tried the Microsoft Speed Analyzer for Office 365 customers. The result was 100Mbit down, 34Mbit upload --> Everything seems fine.

What can be the reason for this slow upload?

The ISP is Deutsche Telekom and we are using a Hybrid-Technology with DSL and LTE.

It seems, that the Outlook upload is not using the fast LTE-path. But why? The other uploads are in best quality?

Can anyone help us?

The enviroment in short:

- Office 2016 from Business Premium Plan

- local firewalls off

- same speed when Antivirus Software on or off

- no Proxy

- no Lync-Integration

- same result with or without cache-mode

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

André

Hi Andre,

Outlook performance is just like any other application. It relies on CPU, Disk, Network and other conditions. If any of those resources are performing badly, then the end customer is likely to experience a poor performance. To narrow down the cause, I’d like to confirm some information below:

1. Do all emails sent out slowly in the Outlook client?

2. Your Outlook version such as Outlook 2016 (16.0.6001.1043). Make sure your Outlook is up-to-date.

3. Are all users in this network environment experience the poor performance when using Outlook client?

4. Have you run the Office 365 Client Performance Analyzer tool? Please provide the entire result after running it with us for troubleshooting. To run the tool:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-365-Client-Performance-Analyzer-e16b0928-bd38-423b-bd4e-b8402bc106aa

To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message to collect the result after running the tool. You can click the URL below to read and reply to it:

https://community.office365.com/en-us/user/conversations

Regards,
Larry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Larry,

we did all the test, one of your collegues had analyzed the logfiles and found no issues. He told me, to post the questions in this group.

All the clients in the network have the same problem sending bigger mails in Outlook. With small mails the problem is not significant, because the speed of 50KByte/sec is sufficient. But sending big mails is a bad experience, because the users are waiting and waiting.

All uploads to the cloud are fine, only sending mails with Outlook to the MS datacenter is the problem.

I send you the result in the private message.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

André

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your reply.

We will check the log with related team. To narrow down the issue, could you please provide the following information?

1. What’s the detailed version of your Outlook clients? We can do some tests based on your information.
2. Can you try the Outlook in the clean boot computer? You can also disable the add-ins following the steps given below:
·         In Outlook, click on File< Options< Add-ins.
·         Under Manage select COM Add-ins.
·         Click on GO options beside Manage, uncheck all the add-ins and click Ok.
·         Try to open Outlook and check if it works fine.

Best Regards,
Erick

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We tried all these steps a few weeks ago with no success. It is a fresh install of Outlook 2016 from the Office 365 portal.

We think, that Outlook uses a download connection, where the bonding between DSL and LTE in the router is not switched on. We are looking for the reason of this behavior.

Any ideas?

Regards,

André

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre,

As we discussed in your last post, this upload speed slow issue could be related to Outlook client side settings and Office 365 datacenter. In this case, we will need to further consult relevant team for more information. Thanks for your time and understanding.

Regards,
Yang

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Which Team shoud I consult? What is the next step?

Regards

André

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre,

I notice that you said this in your previous thread:

“We imported mails from a pst-file and we saw an upload Speed round about 70KBbyte per second. And the same speed occured, when we are sending mails with 5 or 10 Mbyte.”

After doing some consulting, I find ‘70KB per second (4.2M per minute)’ when uploading PST files or sending emails is a normal speed. And from the logs you provided, the speed is fine. So it’s an expected behavior that it will be slower than usual when sending large emails. Your understanding is appreciated.

Regards,
Larry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre,

I have reviewed the whole thread. I can fully understand Outlook client encounters slow performance issue when sending emails. From previous troubleshooting, this should be a client issue.

Our Office 365 forum mainly focuses on Office 365 for Business online service. Which email account have you configured in Outlook client, Exchange Online account or other email account.

1. If it is an Exchange Online account, I’d like to escalate the issue to our escalation team for further investigation. To escalate the issue, we need to collect your Office 365 tenant information, and contact your Office 365 administrator. Are you the administrator? If not, please involve your Office 365 administrator into this issue.
To protect your privacy, I have sent a private message to request the tenant information. Please use this link to access the private message: https://community.office365.com/user/conversations

2. If it is not an Exchange Online account, to provide you with a better service, I suggest you post at Outlook client forum below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=outlook&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

They are more proficient at Outlook client configurations.

Thanks,

Neo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre,

If you’re using Exchange Online account, please provide the tenant information for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Claud

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2024 Views 11,731 Applies to: