Question

Q: Outlook 2016 crashing about every 30 minutes This thread is locked from future replies

Running Win 10 (latest released build), Surface Book i7/16G/512SSD dGPU

Office 2016 (as part of office 365)

Outlook 2016 crashes about every 30 minutes... pasting event log entry below

Have noticed Excel crashes as well... but not as often - not open as much as outlook

I have tried a full repair multiple times now. Have tried running in safe mode.  Neither is helping.

Please help!

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          11/4/2015 9:53:22 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      JohnMcSurfBook
Description:
Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.6001.1034, time stamp: 0x561f42de
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x884f076d
Faulting process id: 0x32fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d11717440d9bea
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 2c785e2c-830c-11e5-9bf0-b4ae2bc4ce9c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-11-04T15:53:22.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12390</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>JohnMcSurfBook</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
    <Data>16.0.6001.1034</Data>
    <Data>561f42de</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>884f076d</Data>
    <Data>32fc</Data>
    <Data>01d11717440d9bea</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>2c785e2c-830c-11e5-9bf0-b4ae2bc4ce9c</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event> 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

A quick question before we proceed.

-Does this issue only occurs with Outlook?

Run Outlook as administrator: Right click on Outlook and select Run as Administrator. If issue still persists let's try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Start Outlook in safe mode following steps mentioned below and then try sending emails and verify the result.

* Hold Windows key + R.
* Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter

Outlook /safe

Note: There is a space between Outlook and '/'

If Outlook works as expected in safe mode, disable the add-ins by following steps mentioned below and determine the problem causing add-in:

a) Click on File menu, click Options, Add-ins, Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.
b) Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox.
c) Close the Office program and restart it.
d) Disable each add-in one at a time, restart the Outlook, and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

Method 2:Let's check whether Office applications are running in Compatible Mode.If yes, disable the same and verify the result.

1) Browse to the location C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 16\root\Office16 (64bit) or C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office 16\root\Office16

2)  Right click on Office application like Excel  and then click in Properties.

3) In the Properties window click on Compatibility tab.

4) Uncheck ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and then click on Apply and OK.

Hope the above information helps. Try the suggestion and let me know the results at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

None of this helped.  Not running in compatibility mode and have all plug-ins turned off from other threads.  This problem is getting worse and worse.  Now crashing/re-starting about every 5 - 10 minutes.  Have re-installed 3 times.  Same problem showing up on all MS Surfaces running Office 2016.  2 of 3 fresh installs of office on new out of box computer.

The only new information I can supply other than "me too" is that the problem seems worse with multiple e-mail accounts.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I would like to know what type of account you have configured in Outlook.  (POP3, IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync or an Exchange account)

Do you get any error messages?

Kindly post the application log file error.

Do come back with the required information and we would be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since originally posting this I took the following actions

1. did a full reset (reinstall Win10 and Office 2016)

This didn't clear the issue up

2. a replacement SB was shipped

3. Not seeing the same issue with the replacement

thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

For me was using mixed IMAP and POP.

However, the recent Surface 4 firmware update seems to have addressed.  The Office updates from about 2 weeks ago definitely did not play well with Surface 4's. A variety of problems including the above.  The firmware update seems to have mostly fixed it.

Sorry this didn't help.

None of this helped.  Not running in compatibility mode and have all plug-ins turned off from other threads.  This problem is getting worse and worse.  Now crashing/re-starting about every 5 - 10 minutes.  Have re-installed 3 times.  Same problem showing up on all MS Surfaces running Office 2016.  2 of 3 fresh installs of office on new out of box computer.

The only new information I can supply other than "me too" is that the problem seems worse with multiple e-mail accounts.

EXACT SAME PROBLEM HERE.  Here's the kicker:  It seems to be tied to my Surface Book.  The crashes occur specifically while I'm using Outlook, as in if I leave Outlook open unused, nothing happens, however if I use Outlook for what seems to be about 15-30min, it will reliably crash.  I'm shocked I found that other people with the same issue actually as I thought it was just me.

0) Ensured all patches applied to Windows (publicly) and Office was "updated".

1) Ran Outlook 2016 in Safe Mode.  Still crashed.

2) Ran Quick Repair of Office.  Still crashed.

3) Ran Full Repair of Office.  Still crashed.

4) REINSTALLED WINDOWS.  Used Windows Enterprise.  Still crashed.

5) Installed Office CAT. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36852 Crash log doesn't refer to anything - no driver, no module, nothing.

I'll admit to being totally stumped by this because Outlook has RARELY crashed on me going back before 2010.  I don't really use plug ins outside of Lync/Skype for Business.  I'm coming to the conclusion that this may actually be a hardware issue as I have not heard of this issue with anyone else in my company with Office 2016 - and I'm one of the few with a Surface Book.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

I was having the same issue (might have been the original post you replied to).

I contacted Surface Support and they shipped a replacement unit.

Another thing you might consider trying:  (this might sound strange but have heard it work for others and with Word being woven into Outlook ...)

Open Word

Go to File  |  Options 

Select Advanced from left nav bar

Ensure "Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration" is selected

Might be worth a shot if you want to try before getting a replacement unit.

Good luck with it.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

I'm also having issues with a Surface Book and Surface Pro 4. Connected to Exchange ActiveSync.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem, Surface Book, Windows 10 and Office 365. My symptoms are exactly the same as what everyone else has described. Even with the same entries appearing in Event Viewer.

One other thing I do also get is that from time to time I get artifacts appearing on the display, especially in Firefox, and I need to scroll up and down to clear them away.

Is this something that can be fixed through a software change or is it a hardware problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Exactly the same problem here.

Just in German but same message:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: OUTLOOK.EXE, Version: 16.0.6769.2017, Zeitstempel: 0x57013eeb
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x5f75df64
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x2678
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d1a12b5bd30a1f
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown
Berichtskennung: 114c6752-0d1f-11e6-9bf5-b4ae2bde0a1a
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

This is really a big problem. Please solve.

Best regards

Roman

Sorry this didn't help.

146 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 10388 Last updated: February 19, 2018 Applies to: