Office365 Group Unsubscribe - Still receive email (flaw?)

I have unsubscribed from an O365 Group. I don't want hundreds of emails in my inbox, and periodically check the groups to stay up to date.

This works, mostly. However, if I participate or start a conversation my email will automatically be added in the "To" field for every other person replying to the thread... and thus I am not unsubscribed.

Is there any way to unsubscribe, and be unsubscribed, besides using the unsubscribe link, which doesn't unsubscribe....

Hi Scott,

When you unsubscribe from a group, you are still a member but no longer receive messages and calendar event notifications in your personal inbox. You'll have to go to the group inbox to see them.

You'll still be a part of the group, but won't receive any conversations or invitations in your inbox, except in these two cases:

1.When someone replies to a message that was sent to the group by an unsubscribed user, the unsubscribed user receives those messages in his or her inbox.

2.When someone replies to a message that was replied to by the unsubscribed user, the unsubscribed user receives those messages in his or her inbox.

If you don’t want any emails from that group, we suggest you leave the group.

An article for your reference: Leave or unsubscribe from a group.

Thanks,

Lance

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Scott,

When you unsubscribe from a group, you are still a member but no longer receive messages and calendar event notifications in your personal inbox. You'll have to go to the group inbox to see them.

That sounds great! That's exactly what 'unsubscribe' means!

.... "except in these two cases:

1.When someone replies to a message that was sent to the group by an unsubscribed user, the unsubscribed user receives those messages in his or her inbox.

2.When someone replies to a message that was replied to by the unsubscribed user, the unsubscribed user receives those messages in his or her inbox."

Well... then I am not unsubscribed?

Perhaps instead of the solution being "leave the group" you could fix the bug so when you unsubscribe you have unsubscribed?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah we've come across the same issue. This is really weird. I guess as it stands right now, "unsubscribe" is not really "unsubscribe".

My team doesn't want email notifications. We just want to keep Group conversations separate. We just want to enter the Groups page to check our Group conversations but I guess this is just not possible.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Scott,

This is an expected behavior as described in the document in my first post.   Just like it says, you receive conversations or invitations in your inbox because as a part of this group, you participated and started a conversation and you are still a part now .  

Lance

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your understanding.                                               

I guess there isn't any understanding? What a user would understand is that by clicking the unsubscribe button they are unsubscribed.

Obviously this is not the intended behaviour of the button, so could you please create another button called "Unsubscribe" but when the user clicks it they are... unsubscribed? Revolutionary.

Also, out of curiosity, if I clicked the "Stop emails" link on this thread, would I continue to receive emails? 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Scott,

What you have done just meet the two exceptions l listed above.

If you have any idea or suggestions about this unsubscribe feature, we welcome you to submit feedback via https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups

Many features are improved and released based on our customers’ constructive advice.

If you click the "Stop emails" link on this thread, you won't continue to receive emails.

Best Regards,

Lance

Sorry this didn't help.

If you click the "Stop emails" link on this thread, you won't continue to receive emails.

So you unsubscribe? Surely by Microsoft logic I would continue to receive emails, despite clicking 'stop emails'? No?

Anywho, for those playing along here is the UserVoice thread, hopefully something sane comes from it:

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/15083715-unsubscribe-button-that-actually-unsubscribes

Sorry this didn't help.

Hahaha. Thanks Scott. Yeah, it looks like we're done here. I've thrown in 3 votes.

Sorry this didn't help.

"You'll still be a part of the group, but won't receive any conversations or invitations in your inbox, except in these two cases:

2.When someone replies to a message that was replied to by the unsubscribed user, the unsubscribed user receives those messages in his or her inbox."

This ^ doesn't seem accurate to me. I've created a group and added members who are not subscribed (I've double checked with them) and periodically when event invitations are sent to the group e-mail address, there will be 3-4 people (of the 12 members--none of which are subscribed to the group) who will receive the invite even if they are not intended recipients (not everyone in the group needs to be at every meeting).

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why these people (and the 3-4 individuals being invited randomly are not the same 3-4 individuals every time either--even more confusing!) are being sent invites to meetings (received in their personal inboxes) that they are not meant to be invited to and the only connection is that they are in the group and the group is being invited (so that the meeting can be easily added to the group calendar).

This just makes something that could have been so simple and helpful much more complicated and way less helpful.

Shannon

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm finding a recent update has caused the unsubscribe feature for groups to no longer work. It emails the group regardless. Can you please provide a patch or a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Kristin

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2020 Views 4,191 Applies to: