Office 365 / Outlook 2016 does not render HTML email properly

When viewing HMTL emails, most of the time they are not rendered properly -- see below:

This occurs whether the message is being viewed in the preview pane as shown above or whether it is being viewed in its own window.

Using Office 365 2016 64-bit on Windows 10.  Screen resolution is 1920 x 1080.

This is the second major issue I have come across with Outlook.  If they can't be fixed, I'll be migrating back to Office 2013 until 2016 is actually ready to be released.

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 37,525 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi David,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

A quick question before we proceed.

Does this issue occur with all email accounts?

Let’s start Outlook in safe mode following steps mentioned below and then check if issue persists.

a) Hold Windows key + R.

b)Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter

Outlook /safe

Note: There is a space between Outlook and '/'

If Outlook works as expected in safe mode, disable the add-ins by following steps mentioned below and determine the problem causing add-in:

a) Click on File menu, click Options, Add-ins, Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.

b) Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox.

c) Close the Office program and restart it.

d) Disable each add-in one at a time, restart the Outlook, and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

You may also update Display Drivers as it might have happened due to the improper display settings and check if it helps. 

You may follow the steps below to update Display Drivers.

a) Right click on start button and click on Device manager.

b) Select Display Drivers.

c) Right click on the Display drivers and select Properties

d) Click on the device tab and select Update driver.

Hope it helps. Try the suggestions and let us know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize when I installed Office 365 2016 that I was installing what appears to be beta software given the multiple malfunctions that I have encountered.

Since I do not have time to try to coax the software into working properly because I need it to run my business, I uninstalled Office 2016 earlier this evening and went back to Office 2013, where all the issues that I was experiencing in Office 2016 do not exist.

I'm sure I'll give Office 2016 another try when all the bugs are worked out -- perhaps in 6 to 9 months.  But for now, I won't deal with it, nor could I recommend it to anyone else who might incorrectly assume that the product will work as expected.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I decided that rather than go back to Office 2013, I would install 32-bit Office 2016.  That solved this issue, but Microsoft should be aware of that this problem has not been addressed in the 64-bit version.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same Problem it Sucks.

Never had this problem before In 2013...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

A quick question before we proceed.

Does this issue occur with all email accounts?

Let’s start Outlook in safe mode following steps mentioned below and then check if issue persists.

a) Hold Windows key + R.

b)Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter

Outlook /safe

Note: There is a space between Outlook and '/'

If Outlook works as expected in safe mode, disable the add-ins by following steps mentioned below and determine the problem causing add-in:

a) Click on File menu, click Options, Add-ins, Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.

b) Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox.

c) Close the Office program and restart it.

d) Disable each add-in one at a time, restart the Outlook, and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

You may also update Display Drivers as it might have happened due to the improper display settings and check if it helps. 

You may follow the steps below to update Display Drivers.

a) Right click on start button and click on Device manager.

b) Select Display Drivers.

c) Right click on the Display drivers and select Properties

d) Click on the device tab and select Update driver.

Hope it helps. Try the suggestions and let us know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Hi.

I have the issue reported here.

I did what you suggested with the add-ins and I though, for a moment, that it was related with one of them. Then I noticed the issue comes and goes, randomly. Once Outlook is open and the issue happens for a particular message, it also happens for all other HTML messages with similar template/format. If I close/open Outlook and, this time, the issue is not happening, it stays that way while Outlook is open for all affected messages.

2 messages showing with the issue:

After closing/opening twice Outlook (no add-ins removed), same messages showing without the issue:

Notice how I said "twice", but that's random. Sometimes I can close/open Outlook several times without the issue.

I believe it's related with a particular CSS property, since it only happens with HTML messages and not all of them. Also, it's not related with the preview pane, since it also happens when I open the message in a new window.

I am using a Thinkpad T440s with Windows 10 Pro x64 with Office 365 2016 x64, all up-to-date (drivers included). I have a 1080p screen with zoom level at 125%.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I decided that rather than go back to Office 2013, I would install 32-bit Office 2016.  That solved this issue, but Microsoft should be aware of that this problem has not been addressed in the 64-bit version.

Are you sure it was fixed? Have you tried closing/opening Outlook several times to see if the issue comes back?

I ask you that because that happened to me. If open Outlook and the issue is happening to a particular message, I need to close/open Outlook until it's "fixed". Sometimes I need to do that once, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

My experience has been that the 32-bit version is fine.  Outlook has been opened and closed several times during a single Windows log in session and the issue has not recurred.

Sorry this didn't help.

Its very well going back to 32 bit version but aint that defeating the point.

Should microsoft pull there finger out there **** and fix this bloody problem.

I have been so hacked off by it as well.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same issue with Outlook 2016 not rendering html email messages properly. Yes closing and opening Outlook temporarily fixes the issues, but seriously this can't be a fix. It has become Microsoft's norm to release products that are not fully developed and tested prior to releasing software to the public. There is absolutely no excuse for an email application that can't render email messages properly.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Exact same issue.  Outlook 2016 64-bit.  Prior versions worked fine.  When an HTML e-mail is in preview mode, it looks blank but there is a scroll bar.  You have to scroll to the right to see it.  Basically, it is making the preview window the size of the screen and centering the e-mail on that (with lots of blank space on the left and right, keeping you from seeing the true e-mail without scrolling) instead of putting the HTML e-mail in the preview window.  :(

Sorry this didn't help.