Teams button for Outlook calendar is greyed out

I'm the IT dept for my company, and a coworker tried to set up a Teams call via her Outlook calendar today, but the button was missing. After I added it to her ribbon, it was greyed out and she's unable to click on it. She has been using Teams successfully for a couple weeks now, and hasn't had any Outlook issues either. I've already made sure Windows is fully updated, and uninstalled/reinstalled Teams. I see it on my Outlook calendar, and it's not greyed out--same with plenty of other employees who have it on their laptops.

What could be causing this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi R Glon,

May I know which Outlook 365 client version she using, please provide us with the detailed screenshot, see What version of Outlook do I have?

When you say “a coworker tried to set up a Teams call via her Outlook calendar today, but the button was missing”, do you mean that Teams Meeting add-in button missing?

If so, we don't recommended manually adding, if users do not see the Teams Meeting add-in instruct them to close Outlook and Teams, then restart the Teams client first, then sign in to Teams, and then restart the Outlook client, in that specific order to check this issue.

May I know whether the user sign in to Teams using Modern Authentication?

However, the Teams Meeting add-in requires users to sign in to Teams using Modern Authentication. If users do not use this method to sign in, they'll still be able to use the Teams client, but will be unable to schedule Teams online meetings using the Outlook add-in. See Use the Teams Meeting add-in in Outlook

You may also try to check this user issue via using different PC (e.g. any non-problematic colleague’s PC) to determine whether it is specific client side issue.

Moreover, please provide us with the detailed screenshot about the issue so that we can check and further assist you.

To post screenshot, please refer to steps below:
On the top ribbon, click on Insert Image, and then Choose File to browser the picture to upload.
Click Upload.

Your time and understanding will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Shyamal

---------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you read more into my post, you'll see that at first there was no button, but then I added it to the ribbon, and that's when I noticed it was grayed out. It looks like mine (below), except without color and nothing happens when she clicks on it.

Can you explain Modern Authorization to me? That's a term I've never heard used. She's using the desktop app, not the web app. She is logged in, and she has been able to attend meetings or do video chats through it without issue. I've already gone through the link you provided before posting here, and sadly that was no help.

Again, if you read through to the end of my message, you would see that this feature is working on other PCs, and they've been able to schedule Teams meetings through their own Outlook software.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi R Glon,

Thanks for the reply. I notice that you have added add-in. However, the Teams Meeting add-in is automatically installed for users who have Microsoft Teams and Outlook 365 desktop client installed on their Windows PC, you don’t need to add manually. As far as I know manually adding will not work.

I also understand that the Teams Meeting add-in button working in other machine for the users. Can you please check this problematic user issue via using different PC to determine whether it is specific to her client side issue?

Please provide us with the detailed information about this Outlook client version (e.g. version 2002 (Build 12527.20278).

Regarding the modern authentication query, you may refer to the article: Sign in to Microsoft Teams using modern authentication

I would suggest you please use the Office 365 Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) tool that can diagnose the Outlook problems. Please download the tool and run the Support and Recovery Assistant on the affected computer troubleshoot the issue. See: Fix Outlook and Office 365 issues with the Support and Recovery Assistant

Moreover, if the SaRa tool doesn’t help then please create a new Windows user account and performing a clean install the latest Office 365 desktop application program to see whether the problem still occurs.

Your patience and cooperation are highly appreciated. 

Best regards,
Shyamal
---------------------

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your first statement is inconsistent, because she did have Office 365 installed on her desktop prior to installing Teams, and the add-in didn't show up. Additionally, it doesn't make sense to give someone the manual option to add it if it wouldn't work anyway. Why allow that function if it doesn't do anything?

The problematic user has the same laptop as I do, and my button works. I checked the link you provided and confirmed she's using modern authentication: "If users have already signed in to other Office apps through their Office 365 Enterprise account, when they start Teams they're taken straight to the app. There's no need for them to enter their credentials." She's already signed into her other Office 365 E3 account.

I'll download the Support and Recovery Assistant today, to see if that can tell us anything.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi R Glon,

Thanks for the reply. Since official article only suggest manually adding for Skype meeting add-in not for Teams meeting add-in. Yes, please try to check with SaRa tool.

When you say “The problematic user has the same laptop as I do”, do you mean that problematic user and you using the same Outlook desktop client version?

If the SaRa tool doesn’t help then as I suggested above please create a new Windows user account and performing a clean install the latest Office 365 desktop application program to troubleshoot this issue.

Your cooperation are highly appreciated. 

Best regards,
Shyamal
---------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The SaRa was unable to help with my request. I went through the Outlook section and didn't see any options that pertained to what I need, and the Office section was only about installations or activations. I have a log file from the experience if that would help any.

"When you say “The problematic user has the same laptop as I do”, do you mean that problematic user and you using the same Outlook desktop client version?" This was in response to asking to try the problematic user on a different PC, which I now see I misunderstood. She has a slightly newer version of Outlook than I do, which doesn't make sense that when I try the Update button, it says I'm up to date.

I'll try the uninstall/reinstall of Office at her earliest convenience.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would double check the account she is singed in with in both Office and Teams is from the E3 account.  There are some other things to check on this page and also some good learnings from others in the comments section, https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/why-can-t-i-see-the-microsoft-teams-meeting-add-in-for-outlook/ba-p/174630.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The uninstall/reinstall didn't work. I made sure upon opening that I opened Teams first, then Outlook. I even went through an Office update, uninstalled/reinstalled a second time Teams, and that didn't work either. When I looked under File > Options > Add-ins, the Teams add-in wasn't listed there, not even under Disabled ones. I'm unable to create a new Windows account for her to use as we aren't on the domain in our building due to Corona restrictions.

Her version of Outlook now matches my own.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the offer, Gabriel, but I've already tried these and they didn't work. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am curious if you found a solution to this problem.  I am have a user who is having the exact same issue.  Tried having her sign into another computer and teams is greyed out in outlook.  

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 40,553 Applies to: