Outlook Calendar - Shared Calendars differece between 2010 Outlook and 2016 (365) new meeting request

On Outlook 2010 client has all his employees calendars in his Navigation pane, when he wanted to book a meeting he would look at their calendar and double click on an available timeslot, a new meeting request would open and he fill it out and send it.

He only has review permissions to the calendars.

We are going thru refresh and he got Win10 with Office 365

In Outlook the calendar show up but he cannot double click on a timeslot gets access denied.

Showed client how to use Meeting Request - Schedule Assistant which he didn't know about.  But would prefer to do it the old

way as everyone has been taught on how to do it.  Not comfortable with changing their procedures.

I've tried changing around the permissions on the calendar and on the root of the mailbox, if give editor permission yeah can create an entry in the calendar but it doesn't come as new meeting request, right click doesn't get new meeting request it's all greyed out.

I figure it's working by design, but checking if anyone has a registry fix for enabling the new meeting request on another users calendar.

Using Exchange

Tried cached Mode off and on, recreated outlook and windows profile

Thanks 

Found another work around will see if client is okay with this.  Seems to work well with my testing

Celect calendar timeslot then on ribbon go to New Meeting - Select Meeting with All it creates  new meeting request to the person you selected with the timeslot requested. 

will see if client likes that option better then using scheduling assistant.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi N.C.

Thanks for posting in our forum. According to your description, do you mean that users cannot edit a shared calendar in Outlook even though he has the editor or delegate permission?

If so, please double check whether the user has the correct permission of the shared calendar. Right click on the calendar > Properties > Permission > check if the user has the Can edit/delegate permission

As far as I know, users with editor permission can create meeting request on shared calendar. To narrow down this issue, I suggest you check if you can create events in the Outlook web app.

Here is an article for your reference: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-someone-else-s-calendar-in-outlook-on-the-web-c78e29c6-db6a-4192-8a12-d5761ae7b803

Besides, for further troubleshooting on this issue, could you please provide us the detailed version of your Outlook? And if there is any error message, you can provide us with some screenshots.

We’re looking for your response:)

Best Regards,

Huni 

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No has nothing to do with that, not a delegate, it was just a function in 2010 that if you had read

access to another users calendar you could double click on a timeslot and it would bring up a new meeting request, he couldn't do this in 2016

showed him how to use New Meeting Request and the scheduling assistant which they never

knew about and they were happy with how that words it's an extra step but the view is much

better to see who is all available at a specific time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi N.C.,

Sorry for the late response. Do you mean that the user cannot create a new meeting request by double-clicking on a timeslot of a shared calendar?

As far as I know, whether in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2016, we can open a meeting request by double-clicking on the timeslot without any problems if we have the sufficient permission of this shared calendar.

In this situation, for further troubleshooting on this issue, I’d like to collect some detailed information as below for further investigation:

What's the version of your Outlook? You can provide us a screenshot about your product information. (File > Office Account > Product Information)

If there’re any error messages, please post some related screenshots here.

Please capture a screenshot of the user’s permission of his shared calendar.  

Best Regards,

Huni

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi N.C.,

We haven't heard back from you. If you need any further assistance. Please provide us the required information at your convenience.

Best Regards,
Huni

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Client was fine using the scheduling assistant in the new meeting request, they actually liked it better.

No they didn't need or had any permissions to their staff calendars before, they just had their staff calendars listed in their outlook and if double clicked on a time slot it generate a meeting request.  I tested it on both 2010 Outlook and 365 Outlook.  2010 I had no permissions to my coworkers calendar but I was able to double click on a time slot and a new meeting request would generate, didn't need any permissions to my co workers calendar to do this.  But in 365 we get access denied, so that function doesn't work the same, or it was broken in 2010 and allowed us to book meetings that way.

But client is okay using scheduling assistant so I stopped looking into the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 120 Applies to: