.MSG files stored in SharePoint Online won't Open in Outlook

We are using SharePoint online for record keeping and have to save emails. When I click on it in New Experience, I get:

It shows that there is an "attachment", but no way to click on it to see.  Intermittently, this doesn't even show up and says that it must be downloaded to view. When choosing it in Sharepoint Classic View, I get:

Which the user can then click on "Open" and see the message and attachments. This is MUCH MORE user-friendly!!!!

Even if I change the library settings -> Advanced Settings to: "Open in the client application" (which according to Microsoft should work of any of the Office 365 client products) - it still won't work in New Experience view.

This is VERY confusing to an end-user.  Any fix?

Question Info

Last updated December 2, 2019 Views 2,495 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Barbara,

In new UI, when previewing .msg file in the browser, there’s no way to view the attachment if the file includes one. If you wish to open the message in Outlook client, then you must download the file first.

We understand it will be more convenient if users can open .msg file in Outlook directly without downloading them. Given the situation, I’ll suggest you vote for this requirement in the following UseVoice link: New Experience Issues

Regards,

Neha

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.