Attachments names are changed in outlook 365 when names are long

I came across the following problem:

When sending an attachment with a long name from Thunderbird to Outlook 365, the attachment is then displayed in Outlook 365 with a modified name. The modified name, as displayed by Outlook 365, starts with the initial digits of original name, followed by a long sequence of alphanumeric characters (e.g.   .%65%6E%5F%53%63%68%61%64%65%6E%5F%4C%65%74%69%7A%69%61%20%52%6F%74%61%20%28%33%29%2E%70%64%66

The same attachments are displayed with the correct name in Windows Mail and in Outlook for Android: here there is no problem 

Is any of the settings I should change in Outlook 365?

(Outlook 365 is up-to-dated with the September 2020 updates and Windows 10 is also updated with the 2004 version and last September cumulative update - Thunderbird is updated to version 78.2.2). It may be that the problem was preexisting with previous versions of Outlook 365/Thunderbird but I came across it only recently

Thanks in advance for the help

Answer
Answer

Hi Monferrato,

Many thanks for your updates in private message and here, and I am sorry for the delayed reply due to out-of-office, I have tried to send the attachment from Outlook and receive it in Outlook, but the issue doesn't appear. Based on your sharing, it seems that Thunderbird encodes file with RFC2231, since we are not familiar with Thunderbird, as for details about Thunderbird, please contact Thunderbird for confirmation, your understanding is appreciated. If the Thunderbird client that you use does encode file with RFC2231, yes, you are right, RFC2231 encoding should be root cause of the issue, as what you have searched, Outlook Insider product has fixed this issue while Outlook of current channel doesn't have related update, I'd like to share with you that any updates of Office products are first released to Office Insider product, in which user could experience richer feature, it is actually a beta Office product, after feature is updated in Office updated, in general, its most feature will be updated to the related Office of current channel that has same product number in the next period, I have just compared Office Insider and Office of Current channel product, the Office Insider product(Version 2006 (Build 13001.20002)) that has the RFC2231 issue fixed doesn't have corresponding Office of Current channel product, so this fix may not be released to common Office product yet, at present, please temporarily shorten the file name to work around this issue, or you could try to zip the file or put the file to a folder , then view if it helps. As for the fix for Outlook of Current channel, we recommend you could post using feedback to our dedicated Outlook uservoice, our development team is there, and after they notice your feedback, believe they will consider to update this feature, thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Regards,

Betty

------------

*Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

*Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 3,920 Applies to: