Second e-mail account in Outlook

I use Outlook to access e-mails in a closed account, and now I want to add a second (currently active) account to my Outlook set-up.

When I added the second account, I was able to receive the test message in my second account (using my current webmail access for that account).

However, when I tried to open Outlook after that, it got hung up and never opened my account.

Do I need to use a specific setting for the set-up of this second account?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

>>However, when I tried to open Outlook after that, it got hung up and never opened my account.

Can you be a bit more specific about is meant by "it got hung up" and "never opened my account"?

Specifically, are you saying that Outlook doesn't start and if so, what error message(s) (if any) are you encountering (in full exactly as displayed).

In the interests of time, in case it's relevant,

1) what type (POP, Imap etc) of email account is the original account and
2) what type of account was configured for the 2nd account and finally
3) who is the email service provider for the 2nd email account
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Karl,

Thanks a lot for your fast response.  Sorry for not being more specific.  With 'hung-up' I meant that Outlook freezes during the opening process.  There is no error message, other than the MS Office message saying 'Outlook Not Responding'.

Actually, this only happens when I choose the first of the two accounts that I can choose from when starting Outlook, while the second one opens just fine.  However, the second one should be the newly added account but once Outlook opens (when choosing the second option), the original/first account opens (which is based on a pst file).

And as for the type of email account, I'm not sure what it is, so I sent an e-mail to the help desk to inquire about that.  I configured the new Outlook account as a POP3 account.  And the e-mail provider is a research institute in Taiwan (where I used to work).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>Actually, this only happens when I choose the first of the two accounts that I can choose from when starting Outlook, while the second one opens just fine. However, the second one should be the newly added account but once Outlook opens (when choosing the
second option), the original/first account opens (which is based on a pst file).
<<

You have me slightly confused here. Can you confirm that you configured the 2nd email account in a new Outlook profile since you can't select an email account within a given profile.

Also, when you configured the POP3 account, did you use an existing PST file or did you let Outlook create a new one for the account? If you selected an existing PST file, is it contained on a local hard drive or on a networked shared drive?

>>And as for the type of email account, I'm not sure what it is, so I sent an e-mail to the help desk to inquire about that
<<

The type of any email account can be easily determined by opening the Control Panel <Mail> app and select the corresponding profile. The list of email accounts (and email protocol (otherwise referred to as "type") used to configure the account) can be found under the <Email> tab.

Before going into a dissertation about possible options, will leave that for when it's clearer in regards to # of profiles etc as per above questions
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I configured it in a new profile.

For the old/first profile, I used an existing PST file (accessed from my hard drive).
For the new one, I didn't have a PST file yet, so I didn't choose anything (and I guess Outlook created one).

Since the original email account is web-based, I'm not sure how I can see the type/protocol in the Control Panel 'Mail' app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>Since the original email account is web-based, I'm not sure how I can see the type/protocol in the Control Panel 'Mail' app.
<<

So you're not using Outlook desktop for the first email account? Specifically, you're using your web browser? If you're using Outlook desktop for the first email account, then it will be listed but if not, this isn't a case of "configuring a 2nd email account in Outlook" but rather, it's the first and only account as far as Outlook desktop is concerned.

Regarding the problem you're encountering, to eliminate as many things as possible as quickly as possible, suggest you create a new Outlook profile using the Control Panel <Mail> app and configure the email account again. Once that's done, be sure to set the new Outlook profile just created as the default for when Outlook is opened.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The first account (which I ever used Outlook for on my PC) is an inactive account, in which I just access old/archived mails (from the PST file).

And the new/second account is an active one, which I always have been accessing through a website (but want to use Outlook for now, so I can save my mails when the account eventually is closed).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>And the new/second account is an active one, which I always have been accessing through a website (but want to use Outlook for now, so I can save my mails when the account eventually is closed).
<<

Who is the email service provider for this account?

In any case, without knowing anything else about this account, still suggest creating a new Outlook profile. Just to be clear about everything, since you state that this is a POP3 account, you manually configured the account correct? If you just entered the email address/password, it would have defaulted to an IMAP account.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Karl,

Sorry, I just now saw your reply.

I don't know much about the service provider for this new account.

Yes, I did the set-up manually.  So, I deleted that newly created profile, and was going to create a new profile from scratch, using the auto/default configuration this time.  However, now I can't even open the other profile -- the screen freezes once I start Outlook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Am starting to get lost a little with this so to summarize things just to make sure we're on the same page

#1 - You have 2 profiles in Outlook (one for just viewing your PST file) and the other for the account you're trying to configure - that correct?
#2 - Your 2nd profile is the one set as the default and that's the one you're having problems opening Outlook - that correct?

>>o, I deleted that newly created profile, and was going to create a new profile from scratch, using the auto/default configuration this time.

Just so that you're aware, using <auto-discover> will result in Outlook attempting to configure the account using IMAP.

Lastly, there is a reason for asking who the email service provider is - to continue on with this without some relevant info would be simply guessing as to what all is going on. Any major email service provider would have their email account settings documented on their website. Minor players could have all kinds of limitations.

As for not being able to open Outlook anymore, make sure that the correct profile has been selected and if that still doesn't work, then you'll need to create a new profile for that which would require creating a profile without using an email account (not entirely clear as to why you have these separated into different profiles)
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your efforts, Karl, and sorry for not being more clear.

Yes, your first summary point is correct.

The second point was correct, but not anymore, as I'm able to open the new profile and access my mails in that account now, after I deleted and set up the profile again.

So, now the issue is with the profile that I use to view the mails in my PST file.  When I open Outlook and choose that profile, it will show the folder list for a second but then freeze.

OK, I see your point about the provider.  In my case, it's a research institute in Taiwan (where I used to work), so I can't even read most of their info (as it's in Chinese), although I could search for some info in English, but I guess that it may not be critical anymore at this point, as I'm able to access the account now (after I reestablished that profile).

As for your last comment, don't I need two profiles if I have two e-mail providers (i.e., the active account and the PST file)?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 5 Applies to: