Outlook Rules not functioning

Since the new task bar update happened, my rules don't run.  I can't add new rules.  I can't manage/run rules.  My inbox is a mess.

Error message "The operation failed because of a registry or installation problem.  Restart Outlook and try again.  If problem persists, reinstall."

I have restarted several time, no difference.  I have reinstalled Office 365.  Nothing.

What is happening?  Please advise.

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2019 Views 2,985 Applies to:
Hello,

Office is presenting a degradation of service on the management of the rules in the Outlook client.

EX171088 - Unable to manage rules in the Outlook client

User Impact: Users are receiving an error when attempting to manage their rules in the Outlook client.

More info: Users are receiving the following error:

"The operation failed because of a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists, reinstall."

Current status: We're preparing a fix to remediate impact, and in conjunction, we're working to identify an adequate workaround that users can implement while we're working to remediate the issue.

Scope of impact: Impact is specific to a subset of users who are served through the affected infrastructure.

Start time: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, at 9:32 PM UTC

Preliminary root cause: A recently deployed update introduced a code issue that is causing errors for users while managing their mailbox rules in the Outlook client.

Next update by: Saturday, December 22, 2018, at 1:00 AM UTC

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi CarolHall5,

Greetings. This is Alan Wu from Office 365 forum support. 

This issue was posted to the Service Health Dashboard (SHD) as incident EX171088 starting at uesday, December 18, 2018, at 9:32 PM UTC. The user experience of this incident is: Users are receiving an error when attempting to manage their rules in the Outlook client. Tenant administrators can view current information and updates on SHD at the link here

https://portal.office.com/AdminPortal/Home#/servicehealth

If you are experiencing a similar issue and do not see an SHD post, please let us know by sharing your tenant information via Private Message (PM) as this may indicate either a scoping issue or an independent problem. 

For affected customers to easily identify the information here, this thread will be closed. You may subscribe to this thread or refer to SHD for updated information. I will also post back here once the issue is resolved on SHD.​

Thanks,

Alan

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Service Health Dashboard has indicated that issue EX171088 has been resolved as of: Wednesday, February 13, 2019, at 6:00 PM UTC. If you are still experiencing an issue, please let us know as this may indicate either a scoping issue or an independent problem.

Thanks,

Rudy

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still experiencing this problem. My last Windows update was installed on 2/13/2019 but I don't know the exact time as Control Panel does not give the time. I do not see any mention specifically for Outlook fixes. If I check for updates I am told there are no new updates. I have Outlook Professional 2013 on Windows 8.1.

If I copy my outlook.pst to a Windows 10 computer the rules now work as of February 13 when they were failing there also previously.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi i still have the issue where no outlook created rules work in o365, if i create them in owa they work

It is not like nothing gets written to the server because if i create a rule in outlook  2016 it shows up on a test pc with outlook 2010 (still doesn't work though) but the created rules do not show in OWA

I have opened a support ticket 12856224  and they say that it is related to this issue, but you have closed this issue and sre claiming that everything is fine!

I also have another case open for a different customer ticket 12856224 where the user appears to have invisible rules sending her mail to junk and 2 months on Microsoft support are no further forward.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I am still experiencing this issue with my office rules failing due to licensing issue. My IT department has removed and reinstalled Office 365 and all is updated, but the same error occurs. 

What can be done to resolve please?

Thank you and regards, Jess. 

Sorry this didn't help.