Office Outlook 2016: Default Save Location for Email Attachments

When I want to save an attachment, my outlook (Windows 10, 365, Outlook 2016, desktop/laptop) always kicks me into the default directory "This PC > Documents".

This is utterly annoying as I don't use this folder at all, and I then need to browse around until I find even just the Desktop. I have not been able to find a simple feature where I could reset the default file/attachment save location to e.g. "Desktop". All online searches, including this forum, deal with Outlook 2013 or earlier, or with Outlook.com. I remember from my earlier Outlook that it was a simple procedure, and I hope MS didn't kill this functionality.

Anybody here who can help? Maybe I'm just not seeing the obvious...

-Max

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2018 Views 32,595 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Von,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Office Community.

We understand how you feel about this issue, let me assist you further.

Kindly elaborate the below sentence ‘always kicks me into the default directory "This PC > Documents".

Meanwhile, you may refer to the suggestions from the below article to save attachments in Outlook and check if it helps.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Save-attachments-in-Outlook-8C392AA5-81DF-4267-8B62-D384CD613761

Please get back to us with necessary information, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This PC>Documents is simply the shortcut location to what was in an earlier win version the Documents Libraries or My Documents

The section of the pane, to the right contains the folders that you may have previously created for filing docs.

You can see the same via the explorer shortcut on the win task bar

Saving any doc to the desktop (that is your actual desktop view) is unwise and not a safe location

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Prabhavathi,

thanks for your help. The Support link above doesn't explain how to set a default save-file location. By default save-file, I mean a location in the file system, e.g. "Desktop" or "C:\" or "Desktop\MyAttachments" or really any folder where I want the attachments to be saved BY DEFAULT when I click on "Save Attachments" in the email message in Outlook. Usually (although the frequency varies -- as so often, the incident is not as predictably repeatable as one might wish), my default save-file location is "This PC \ Documents". I either need to manually change it to "Desktop", or I save it in "Documents" and then need to move it manually from that folder onto the Desktop view or my eventual folder destination. This all takes extra time and clicks, which I like to minimize.

Is there a way to force set a default location?

Best regards, Max

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Read what was posted

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't see much posted in your latest reply... maybe it was lost?

Anyway, attached is a screenshot of my problem. Maybe this helps? Sure, I can navigate to the Desktop with a couple of clicks, but as you know, every click counts, and it's a needless loss of attention and time. Plus, I was able to set the Desktop as the default saving location in earlier versions, so why not here?

I don't understand why this is supposed to be a more dangerous locations for files to store... Please explain! I try to be careful with any attachment, and certainly don't download any exe etc.

-Max

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello...? Just checking if someone is still looking at this thread, or whether it's been given up. As far as I can tell, I still am not closer to a solution. -- Max

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  Opened the document in Excel.  In Options/Save, I have my Default local File location: set to C:\data\Company\, but instead, when I try to save a document I opened out of Outlook, it goes to This PC - Documents.  If that is where I wanted it, I would have made that my default location.

PS I don't see a default save location within Outlook for me to save directly to.  Is there one?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Max,

I can hook you up, if you haven't found out already.

You'll need to find this registry key using regedit: (*don't worry video below* if you have never done this, but don't touch anything else in there!)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options

Create a new string value called DefaultPath

enter the path to your folder and refresh.

Dude in this video will show you how it's done for Outlook 2013. Just go to the 16.0 key, not the 15.0 key like he does in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuoQWpvIJWE

It saves a **** of a lot of time and frustration to save attachments where you want them!

Cheers,

Ken

210 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks KenovaOne! It never ceases to amaze me how: 1) So many useful functions and options that Microsoft users value and rely on are killed when new versions come out. 2) How Microsoft support staff are completely unprepared to deal with the inevitable complaints and protestations that result. 3) How when said complaints arise in these forums, 9 times out of 10 the support staff do not understand the issue 4) The solution is almost always supplied by a fellow user who has found some work around to restore the functionality that Microsoft has killed.

I would really appreciate if the Microsoft response was something along the lines of "oh yeah, we got rid of that functionality. It was a really hard choice, but it allowed us to do X instead. Here is a workaround we prepared in anticipation that some users would need it."

Anyway, a boy can dream...

58 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad it helped, Max. I'm guessing Microsoft Support staff are warned against offering registry adjustments. That said, registry tweaks can make a PC a truly custom experience. Something not available to Mac users. And yes, anticipation of complaints with explanations would be a bonus! It would be an easy data crawl through these forums to have their support team adequately prepped with solutions.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.