Centurylink emails don't work in Outlook

I recently started a new job and they provider they use for internet and email services unfortunately is Centurylink  I cannot set up my Outlook on my laptops or my Android because Centurylink does  not offer IMAP, only POP and I guess the new Outlook won't use it because of security problems. I really don't want to try to redirect it through several emails or outlook.com as it is not really reliable and every path runs the risk of getting lost. Short of trying to convince the employer to change to a website they own, since they have their website there as well as email account under their own url, is there a fix for this problem?

Thanks

You'll need to use the native app, which supports pop.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

>>
I cannot set up my Outlook on my laptops or my Android because Centurylink does not offer IMAP, only POP and I guess the new Outlook won't
use it because of security problems.
<<

Premise that Outlook doesn't support POP3 is incorrect - just need to configure it manually. When you enter your email address, click on <Advanced Options> and check the box for "Let me set up my account manually" --> click <Connect> --> Select POP --> use the settings for CenturyLink as defined on

POP and SMTP server settings
https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/...

Required Forum Disclaimer:

The above link is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Karl

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>
I cannot set up my Outlook on my laptops or my Android because Centurylink does not offer IMAP, only POP and I guess the new Outlook won't
use it because of security problems.
<<

Premise that Outlook doesn't support POP3 is incorrect - just need to configure it manually. When you enter your email address, click on <Advanced Options> and check the box for "Let me set up my account manually" --> click <Connect> --> Select POP --> use the settings for CenturyLink as defined on

POP and SMTP server settings
https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/...

Required Forum Disclaimer:

The above link is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

The challenge is the office has their own addy instead of using centurylink. Using the centurylink settings manually does not work.  Their techs say it's an Outlook glitch but I don't believe that as I have personal accounts through other providers that work fine.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>
The challenge is the office has their own addy instead of using centurylink. Using the centurylink settings manually does not work. Their techs say it's an Outlook glitch
<<

You are going to need to provide some more specifics about what the actual problem is and what error(s) you are running into since something doesn't make sense in the description. What exactly is the "glitch" being referred to?

Specifically, if your client has a website - then they most likely are using cPanel where the email settings should be provided. There's no hard and fast rule as to the POP3/SMTP server names that dictates the client's server names use their domain name. I use one hosting provider where my domain name is part of the server name and another where the actual server names are not domain specific. The latter doesn't mean that my email addresses are not domain specific just because the inbound/outbound servers are not.
OR
am not understanding what the problem is that is being referred to
Karl

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 4,959 Applies to: