Cannot set up BT email address with Outlook

I have a btinternet.com email address that I want to set up on outlook since they shut down the yahoo mail app. No matter how hard I try, I can't get it set up on my laptop or phone. I have checked the IMAP settings and the password, everything is correct. I have no idea what it is that won't let me set it up. What could be stopping this set up?
Hello gotlggs

First, in the interest of full disclosure, I don't personally use btinternet. Similarly, have no idea what the settings are that you're referring to as being correct.

Re: Your iPhone

There is a section that explicitly references the BT Yahoo Email app along with a troubleshooting section under "Important advice for customers using BT Yahoo"

Setting up your email
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/...

Re: Your laptop

The settings as per BT are defined on the following page

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers?
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/...

What I would suggest to eliminate as many things as possible just to test things, would be to create a new Outlook profile and configure the email account. If you want to configure it as an IMAP account, just enter your email address/password and let Outlook configure it automatically using <Auto-Discover> to see if that resolves the issue.

If you want to configure the account using POP3, you will need to do that manually

To create a new Outlook profile
- close Outlook
- Open the Control Panel <Mail App>
- Click on <Show Profiles>
- Click <Add>
- Give the new profile a name
- For IMAP - enter the email address/password OR
- For POP3 - check the option for "Manual Setup" and use the settings provided by BTInternet as per the above links

If everything fails, the first step would be to confirm the settings with BTInternet to ensure there haven't been any last minute changes that aren't reflected on their web pages

Also, since this previously used Yahoo as the backend, was 2 factor authentication enabled for the account?

Required Forum Disclaimer: The above links are non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Forgot to mention one important item. After you've created a new Outlook profile, be sure to set it as the default for the next time Outlook is opened otherwise you're going to use the old profile.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2023 Views 7,001 Applies to: