cannot remove email account in Outlook

I cannot remove email account in Outlook as it does not show as an account under File even though all the emails and directories are still showing. Think it might be because I deleted in Mail first? 
Dear Steve

I am an independent advisor, and I am trying to help other users in Community with my experience in Microsoft products.

Please close all Office apps, restart your device and check if the email is actually removed https://support.office.com/en-us/article/remove...
Regards,
LA
***I'm an independent advisor and I don't work for Microsoft***

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks but have followed instructions, re-started and done MS Office repair. The particular email account is still not showing in account settings where I would expect to be able to select and remove/delete.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>
I cannot remove email account in Outlook as it does not show as an account under File even though all the emails and directories are still showing. Think it might be because I deleted in Mail first?
<<

Hello Steve

From your description, sounds like you removed a POP3 email account from the <Email accounts> list (File --> Account Settings --> Email tab).

If that's the case, the PST file associated with the account doesn't get removed from the profile and will continue to appear in the Outlook Nav Pane which shows all data files configured in Outlook and NOT <email accounts>. The Outlook data files are found under <File --> Account Settings --> Data Files tab>.

<IF> the PST file is also set as the "default data file" for the profile you will not be able to remove it until you set another data file as the "default". The default data file is where the default contact/calendar folders are stored.

Before you blindly remove the PST file from the profile, you'll want to make sure that you do not have any data in contact/calendar folders that you want to keep. Would also advise against setting an .ost file associated with an IMAP account as the default data file. Rather then extend this reply longer then necessary, will explain the reasons for that if this does in fact involve IMAP.
Karl

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Karl for your reply. It looks plausible but is beyond my technical knowledge to properly understand. I was hoping there was going to be a more straight forward resolution from MS as I cant be the only one. I also have another account from the charity I used to be a trustee for, which I will want to delete in both Mail and Outlook but am hanging back until I have a resolution that I can understand and implement.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem resolved itself when I removed another email of the same domain. I deleted it from Outlook first this time. When I checked mail it had also gone along with the one I was having trouble removing.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 33,068 Applies to: