Use Gmail address with Microsoft Exchange functionality in Outlook 2016?

Background: I'm very used to Outlook 2016 with Microsoft Exchange functionality from my job and would like to use the same for personal email as well. My gmail address is my primary address, and I also have a .edu address that I use frequently. What I'm trying to achieve is:

1. A single inbox for all my emails (gmail and edu addresses)
  2. Microsoft Exchange functionality (i.e., categories, flags/reminders)
  3. Ability to change the "from" address without it coming through with the "*** Email address is removed for privacy *** on behalf of..."
  4. Ability to use my gmail address as the default send from address
  5. For replies, automatically select the "send from" address based on the email address I received the message to 

Steps so far: I initially tried setting up the gmail account as an IMAP account, but then the functionality is limited (i.e., no categories, flags, etc., which are important for my workflow). I now have my Outlook.com account connected to my gmail and edu accounts and am using my Outlook.com account in Outlook 2016 (as a Microsoft Exchange account). However, there are two drawbacks:

1. I have to manually select the "from" email address for all outgoing messages because the outlook.com address is the default (i.e., I can't set the gmail to be the default, and I can't set it to base replies on which of my addresses the email was sent to)
  2. Even when I manually select the "from" address, it comes through as "*** Email address is removed for privacy *** on behalf of *** Email address is removed for privacy ***"

Any ideas? So far all I can think of is simultaneously using IMAP accounts for sending from the gmail and edu addresses (to avoid the "on behalf of"), but then I have sent emails in multiple places and still have to manually change the "from" address on every new email. I also tried setting the Gmail IMAP as the default account and then selecting "Always use the default account when composing messages" in settings, but that didn't work either. 

Hi,

I would suggest you to us Outlook email as exchange account. As it can be configured as exchange whereas Gmail cannot be configured as exchange.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-Outlook-profile-F544C1BA-3352-4B3B-BE0B-8D42A540459D

After creating a new profile, let us use Auto Account Setup to automatically configure your Outlook.com account as an Exchange account in Outlook.

File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings…-> button: New…-> select: E-mail Account-> button: Next.

Hope this information helps you. Please let us know if you need additional information.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Harsha, 

I have it setup to use my Outlook.com account as a Microsoft Exchange account. However:

1. I have to manually select the "from" email address for all outgoing messages because the outlook.com address is the default (i.e., I can't set the gmail to be the default, and I can't set it to base replies on which of my addresses the email was sent to)
  2. Even when I manually select the "from" address, it comes through as "*** Email address is removed for privacy *** on behalf of *** Email address is removed for privacy ***"

Outlook.com has the capability to set an alias as the default send from address, and replies will by default use the address the message was sent to as the from address. I'm guessing this is not possible in Outlook 2016, which means I either need to use Gmail/IMAP and sacrifice the Exchange functionality and/or use multiple accounts (i.e., no single inbox) 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, I figured out how to accomplish this. My edu account uses Google Apps, which in turn means I can use the MAPI/Exchange functionality with Google Apps Sync for Outlook

Here are the steps I had to take:

1. Import all Gmail mail into the EDU account. Initially I just connected Outlook directly to the Gmail account using IMAP and was going to just copy/paste the emails over, but this didn't get any emails prior to 2008 (something on Gmail's end I think). So I used the Gmail import feature from the webmail settings, which took about a full week. 
  2. Setup forwarding from Gmail account to EDU account
  3. Add all email addresses I want to be able to send from to the EDU account's "send mail as" setting in gmail's webmail settings page. This will translate over to Outlook and allow you to send from any of these addresses, and Outlook will reply from the address the email was sent to by default

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 7,908 Applies to: