Setup IMAP Account with GMAIL - Error 78754

I have multiple IMAP accounts setup in Outlook 2016 which I utilize to receive and send emails.  All of these accounts worked successfully with my Cablevision as my provider.  I switched my service to Brighthouse/Spectrum (formerly Fios) and these accounts all worked successfully.  However, I recently ran into a situation where three of the seven accounts now appear to not accept my password.  I have verified the password as being correct by logging into gmail using my browser and have done so successfully.  Thankfully, I can still send and receive email but only with gmail and not outlook.

The error message I receive is:  Server: imap.gmail.com  User name:  *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Password: **********

I have repeatedly entered and saved the correct password only to end up in an endless loop.  The system does respond with the dreaded:  Your imap server wants to alert you to the following:  Please log in via yur web drowser: https: Support google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754

I have tried to "Allow access to your Google account" by following the instructions at https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha to enable access to my laptop and thisprocess has also failed.

I have also repaired my copy of Outlook to make sure there was no problem with Outlook, as well as running a number of utilities to make sure there were no issues with the Registry.

Nothing seems to work.  Any suggestions on how to recover these accounts in Outlook.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Paul,

To resolve this issue, We suggest that you enable Basic Authentication for your Gmail account. To do this, go to the following Google website, and then select Turn On when you are prompted about whether to let less secure apps access your Gmail account:

Allow less secure apps

For more information regarding this issue, you may refer to the following link: Outlook cannot connect to Gmail after July 15, 2014.

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further. 

274 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a g suite email, and I'm running into issues setting the IMAP account on my client email server- outlook 2016. I've tried all suggested fixes to no avail. 1 step ( allow less secure apps on) or 2 steps security login with app password, captcha, changing password, and so on. Nothing seems to fix the issue. The only way I can connect via email client is using the sync app, which I don't want to have to choose profiles. I just want to be able to access my email from work, personal and institution all in one email client. 

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The challenge that you are experiencing with setting up your IMAP account on Outlook can occur due to several reasons, such as, incorrect setup. To better assist you with your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• What are the exact steps that you took in setting up your account?
  • Are you getting any error messages?

We look forward to your response.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you've enabled 2-step Verification on your Gmail account, you'll need to use an App Password with Outlook:

Sign in using App Passwords

You may also need to adjust Gmail's "Less secure apps" settings:

Allowing less secure apps to access your account

Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/IT Pro
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. But the reason I'm posting here is because I spent 2 days troubleshooting. As I said in my first post-

"I've tried all suggested fixes to no avail. 1 step ( allow less secure apps on) or 2 steps security login with app password, captcha, changing password, and so on. Nothing seems to fix the issue. " 

I appreciate any suggestions that goes beyond these steps. After a last tentative installing a sync app from google, now I have crashing errors as well and an annoying step to choose which profile I want to open my outlook- can't get rid of it. I just want a simple thing- access my g suite mail from my client email the same way I access my other email accounts. WHo knew it would be such a hard task considering Microsoft and google in 2017??

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not enough details to do anything with the crashing issue, but, the profile prompt is easy to take care of.  Open the Start menu, scroll down to "Windows System", click and select "Control Panel".  From the Control Panel, click the "Mail" app (if you have "Category View" selected, the app is under "User Accounts"), click "Show Profiles", click the "Always use this profile" radio button, pick the Profile you want to use all the time from the drop down menu, click "Apply" then "OK".
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
Broadcast Engineer/IT Pro
MVP-Outlook - WA7BGX
www.rolandschorr.com

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you! I contacted g suite support via chat, the customer service will have someone call me. I"ll post later if we get IMAP settings to work,

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am unable after several attemps and hours to set up a Gmail account in Outlook.

Do you have a solution?

With thanks, Larry Vincent

I have repeatedly entered and saved the correct password only to end up in an endless loop.  The system does respond with the dreaded:  Your imap server wants to alert you to the following:  Please log in via yur web drowser: https: Support google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even with less secure apps enabled it still didn't like my password.

I then changed a setting when it came up with ''try again'' changing the setting for  password to secure password.

It  worked.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had to change the pw on my Gmail account for security reasons.

I am trying to reinstall Gmail account on my outlook 2013 

aol accounts are fine but not my gmail

I need to restore the gmail account

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 10, 2023 Views 67,584 Applies to: