Outlook 2016 - Unable to add contacts folder as an address book

Hi all,

I recently had to refresh my computer and as part of the process had to reinstall all my old programs. After installing Office 365 I imported by backed up PST into outlook. Now, my contacts are missing. The "contacts" folder is there and the contacts are in it but they are not part of the address book. Additionally, I cannot seem to add the contacts folder AS an address book. The tab seems to be completely missing from the folder's properties. Any suggestions?

Appreciate any and all help!

Missing Address Book tab from properties:

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2018 Views 3,042 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Nevermind. I fixed this by renaming the screwed up folder, creating a new folder and importing my contacts again. No idea why it happend. Additionally it also seems to have added a 'Contacts1' folder which I am unable to find in my folders list. 

Anyway, it's working now. I'll leave this up to help anyone else in the future.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the information.

If you have any further questions related to Microsoft Office, let us know and we'll be glad to help.

Rohit S

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem: no address book tab on the Contacts properties folder.

Wish you had answered the original question.

David

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David, 

To resolve your contacts issue, we recommend that you repair your Outlook app.     

You can check this article on how to repair an Office application.     

Feel free to contact us if you need further help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have "repaired" Outlook several times, and reinstalled Office 365 three times.  I have also tried most of the solutions offered on the internet.  I called Microsoft Support and was told the issue is well known recently and higher-level techs were working on it and there should be a solution in 48 hours.  Still waiting.

I guess I will call again, but nobody seems to have a clue.

Sorry this didn't help.

#1 - I have "repaired" Outlook several times, and reinstalled Office 365 three times. 

#2 - I have also tried most of the solutions offered on the internet.

Re: #1 - Repairing and reinstalling is an absolute complete waste of time in this instance

Re: #2 - No one would have any idea what "....tried most of the solutions offered" means. Or to put this another way - no idea as to whatever you found/tried was in any way relevant to the issue at hand

Not going to try to remotely speculate on how this issue occurred especially given the decription that included "After installing Office 365 I imported by backed up PST into outlook"  but there are two things that are blatantly obvious with the original screenshot provided in the first post

#1 - The folder in question references an IMAP email folder which is confirmed by

#2 - The default message for the folder showing "IPM.Note" - if it were created as a contact folder, it would show as "IPM.Contact". A message class of <IPM.Note> indicates that it's an <email> folder which would not have any contact related tabs. There is absolutely nothing that would prevent anyone from creating a folder with the name of <Contacts> so the folder name by itself is meaningless.

This is further confirmed by the solution described in the 2nd post "I fixed this by renaming the screwed up folder, creating a new folder and importing my contacts again". This statement in and of itself indicates that the "contact folder that was renamed" was not the profile's default <contact> folder since a default folder cannot be renamed - hence this folder was manually created and a very common mistake is not choosing the correct folder type when manually creating a new folder.

In short, on the surface, there is some missing info in the problem description. Will be the first to admit that if this is some kind of "well known" issue - not aware of it and it doesn't seem to be generating a whole of traffic either to this thread or new threads describing the same issue (given that this thread started back in August)

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP]
"Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt"
http://www.contactgenie.com
http://www.contactgenie.info

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response.  You are mixing up two different people. 

Your first two items pertain to my recent entry into the original thread posted by zjsc06.  You assert flatly that repairing or reinstalling Outlook or Office was a complete waste of time "in this instance."  But there were two instances, his and mine.  As to mine, your opinion differs from that of the Forum Moderator, who advised me to do it.  Having done it, I can agree it was a complete waste of time.

You then reference Mr. zjsc06's posting and produce an image of the Contacts Properties page and proceed to demonstrate things not relevant to my instance.  My Contacts Properties page is quite different.  In particular, it does not have an Address Book tab. 

Every source on the internet says a missing address book problem can be solved by going to Contacts Properties, clicking on the Address Book tab, and so on.  What do I do if I have no tab???

Please advise me what to do.

Thank you.

David

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response.  You are mixing up two different people. 

David

Not mixing people up at all - but without providing the correct details, no one can know that your question has nothing to do with the specific question in this thread.

The most obvious indicator that your question differs from the original post is that your screenshot shows the contact folder found via the Windows File Explorer - nothing to do with Outlook

What you're looking for is found by opening Outlook --> right-click on any contact folder --> Properties --> Address Book tab

If the contact folder involved is the default for the profile, the checkbox will be checked and greyed out as it is automatically included in the AddressBook

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  This is helpful.  It took me a bit to find the Folders icon in order to reach the Contacts folder, but it does have the Address tab.  I am away from the PC with the problem, so can't test it.  Is there a way to browse to the Contacts folder I need if it does not appear on the Contacts Properties page?  It currently is located in my Users folder.

I appreciate your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  This is helpful.  It took me a bit to find the Folders icon in order to reach the Contacts folder, but it does have the Address tab.  I am away from the PC with the problem, so can't test it. 

Let me stress that the Contacts sub-folder found under the Users folder in Windows Explorer has absolutely nothing to do with Outlook so there is nothing to browse.

You need to open Outlook and select the contact folder from within the Outlook <Nav Pane.> by either select the <People> icon at the bottom of the NavPane or selecting the full folder list

Keyboard shortcuts for the <NavPane> are:

CTRL+3 = People List (Contact folders)

CTRL+6 = Full Folder List

or if in <compact view>

what and how things appear at the bottom of the <NavPane> is governed by the <Navigation Options> accessible by clicking the 3 dots

Sorry this didn't help.