Outlook 2016 - Macros no longer work after upgrading from Outlook 2013

I send a lot of email (not uncommon) and as such I have been using macros in outlook for many years.
In short I have a customised ribbon with buttons that initiate my macros.

In Outlook 2013 I would open outlook, click on a macro and the I would be asked to enable macros. My macros worked.

Since updating to Outlook 2016 a couple of weeks ago I have lost this functionality.

So I have two questions.

1. How can I get this functionality back

2. Can I attach a self cert to this macro (I believe I could under Office 2013)

Thanks

Philip

2) Perhaps this helps https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/selfcert.htm

Although I was using vba in OL2013 to obtain some specific functionality and I dont recall having to change anything when I upgraded to 365/2016

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Palcouk,

Implementing the signature was straightforward.

However I was then met with the following error

So alas still not there yet, thanks anyway

Philip

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Palouk,

Unless I am missing something there is little information here other than the article refers to;

Applies To: Visio Professional 2016, Excel 2013, Word 2013, PowerPoint 2013, Visio 2013, Excel 2010, Word 2010, PowerPoint 2010, Visio 2010, Office 2010, Visio Standard 2010, Visio Professional 2013, Less     

And not Office365

Very much appreciate your efforts though :-)

Thanks

Philip

PS. I even created another certificate assigned it to the VBA script. Closed and restarted Outlook 2016 and same problem. All references I have come across to date point to previous version of Outlook.

I'm still looking (in between getting my work done)

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having exactly the same problem.

We upgraded from 2013 to Outlook 2016 MSO (Office 365 for companies).

With Office 2013 we were also having problems with the certificates as of the october update.

See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_winother/office-2013-update-15048671003-can-no-longer-read/c7cee9da-4fc9-41c5-a1a7-ede814fc9fc5

I hoped these problems would be gone with Office 365 but no, it only got worse...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Donny,

To properly address your issue, please answer the following clarifications:

• Have you tried the solution posted by Palcouk?
  • Since you have indicated in your post that you are running Office 365 for companies, are we working on a business account?

Looking forward to your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rey,

I am familiar with SelfCert and certificates. Everything was working fine until the october update for Office 2013 Click To Run. Updating to 2016 didn't solve the problem. Nonetheless, I'll give it another try.

• I've deleted all previous SelfCert certificates and created a new one (Donny Test)

• Then I go into the VBA editor and choose the newly created certificate.

• When I go to Details, it gives me the screen below. It says that I have to add the SelfCert certificate to the Trusted Root Certificates.

• Then I go to CertMgr with Run.

• Here I copy my 'Donny Test' certificate and paste it in 'Trusted root certificates'

• Now when I go back to the VBA editor and choose 'Donny Test' again, it gives me this screen. Everything looks fine to me...

• When I try to save the file with my 'Donny Test' certificate, it gives me the following error (like Solutions 4 already posted). Translated into English (it's in Dutch): "an error occurred while attempting to verify the vba project signature. macros will be disabled"

• With Office 2013 I still was able to sign a Office document with a SelfCert certificate. The problem was that Office wouldn't accept it as a trusted certificate since the october update. But now with Office 2016 I can't sign an Office file anymore... So the problem only got worse...

• If I open an Office file with a selfcert signed certificate and Trust Center options as below ("notifications for signed macros, all others will be disabled"), macros are always disabled.

• If I choose "notifications for all macros", I get the following screen when opening an Office file with a selfcert certificate. I'm unable to click on "Trust all files from this publisher".

• I really suggest you read the topic at:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_winother/office-2013-update-15048671003-can-no-longer-read/c7cee9da-4fc9-41c5-a1a7-ede814fc9fc5

• I found out that when Office 2016 is installed and updated to the last version, macros are being accepted and everything works as intended. But the second time that, for example, Outlook is started, macros don't work anymore as they should.

• How can I tell that I have a business account? We migrated last week to an Exchange Online server, does that mean I have a business account?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.

A macro that was working just fine with a self cert in 2013 now does not work in Outlook 2016.

First it says Sub or Function not define when I open VBE and when I try to save after attaching the self cert, it says:

There was a problem with the digital certificate. The VBA project could not be signed. The signature will be discarded.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just upgraded to the office 365 for companies and all my macros quit working.  In my case all macros had gotten disabled under security settings.  I fixed it by doing: options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Macro Settings > Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was troubled by this issue and after performing the operations described above, my outlook macro works again.

Thank you so much for posting this detailed reply. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2023 Views 8,121 Applies to: