Outlook 2016 Keeps Asking for Password

I have had Microsoft Office 2016 installed on my current PC since March, 2019. It ran flawlessly until April 29, 2020.

I powered up my PC on April 29, 2020 like I do every day. When I tried to open Outlook it asked for a password. This had never happened since the installation of Office 2016.

Using the password didn't work so I changed it. That did not help. Note that I could still use Outlook OWA and the mail client on my PC so I knew the password was not the problem.

Other Office 2016 applications (Excel and Word) still worked with no problems.

An update to a third-party app occurred on April 28, 2020 and I thought it might be related so I removed the app. No change.

I went so far as to remove Office 2016 from the system, restarted, cleaned the system using CCleaner Professional, cleaned the registry using CCleaner Professional and reinstalled Office 2016 with the original distribution disc. No change.

Other similar questions have been posted and none of their solutions are working for me. Most of the posts are still unresolved. Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Jim

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

@Gabriel Bratton you mentioned that Outlook Team is investing an auth prompt. Do you have a link to the thread?
Windows Security prompts keep popping up every 30secs on Windows 10 PC. Tried resetting Outlook Profile (recreated .ost, also we moved and recreated Mail Profile) - this worked until we rebooted the laptop. This issue has been ongoing for the last 2 days now.

We are using Outlook O365 Pro Plus version.This is the one is what I'm seeing:
http://woshub.com/outlook-keeps-prompting-credentials/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Downloading and installing over 65 updates did not solve the problem with the request for password. 

I created a new profile, the same as my current profile, and received an instructional email from Microsoft telling me to reconnect Outlook 2016 to my Outlook.com account. However, the link provided with the detailed instructions ( https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=837697 ) gives me this error message: This link has expired. Please contact the sender of the email for more information.

How do I reconnect?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is definitely something wrong.  Please hold off making anymore changes for now.  Just make sure the updates all installed for now.  I'll check if there are any incidents for this and get back to you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having same issue and Microsoft phone support rep cannot figure it out either.

i think Microsoft broke something with ActiveSync for Outlook.com and isnt owning up to it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here.  Outlook 2016 was connecting to Outlook.com email fine until last night.  This morning no mail, error requesting password.  entering password made no difference, and deleting and re-adding account is stuck in loop of 'enter password'.  If I deliberately enter a bad password then it gives an error, the right password just loops.  Confirmed password correct through web portal.

Dave

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have all updates installed. ActiveSync between Outlook desktop and Outlook.com stopped working for me this morning. It still works for my iPhone. I've spoken to 3 Microsoft reps who cannot figure out the problem. It's a serious issue because users rely on synchronizing Email, calendars and contacts to their desktop software and hopefully this will be resolved fast.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a service event that is causing some Basic Auth connections to fail.  I am not sure if that is causing this issue though.

Something that will help me investigate further is if you could test Autodiscover and send me the results.  I will send you both an email using the Forum Moderation.  If you could send me the results of this test I will follow up with the service team about it.  To do this test go to the bottom of KB https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4495260 and run the test for "Check Autodiscover status".  

Please send me a screen capture of the Results tab such as below and copy the contents of the XML tab and save to Notepad or Word and send me that too.  I'll send you email shortly.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I run the test the prompt for password appears again in a loop. I managed to get the attached.

Sent to you in PM

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gabe I sent you the results. I cannot run the test because I get prompted for the password which is not being recognized.

I get a local autodiscover failed 0x8004010F

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's definitely an autodiscover issue on Microsoft's end. I'm getting a host of issues and forwarded them to Gabe.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 1,408 Applies to: