Adding/editing email address for contact crashes Outlook

Specs:

desktop computer running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063 

Outlook 2016 fully updated

all add-ins disabled

I started out trying to update contact information and the issues have progressed to Outlook being nearly unusable.

I am trying to update an email address for a contact. I enter the email address and when I click anywhere else and/or try to save the contact profile Outlook locks up and has to be crashed with 'End Task'. I am able to save other pieces of information in the contact profile like the name, company, title, address, notes...but the email address crashes it. I also tested making a new contact and experienced the same issue. I'm able to save after entering other fields but for some reason the email field locks Outlook into a (not responding) eternal spin.

I  uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook and the entire Office suite. I tried scanpst.exe. I tried the inbox repair tool. It found errors and I repaired them to no avail. I have restarted the computer after each and every step.

I now find that I am unable to send emails. Outlook freezes and has to be crashed with 'End Task'. 

I am at a complete loss as to what to do next. Any helps is sincerely appreciated. There's no way I can do business without email.

Question Info

Last updated July 26, 2019 Views 3,502 Applies to:

Hi,

If you continue to experience the problem with Outlook add-ins disabled, it's possible that the security software you have on the computer is conflicting with Office services. Please try these suggestions to collect more information and resolve the problem:

1. Start Outlook in safe mode.
  2. Repair Outlook.
  3. Run the Office Analyzer Tool.
    • Follow the steps here to run this tool.
  4. Disable any antivirus software.

Let us know if the suggestions help you in fixing the problem.

Best of luck.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried all of these options without success. Any other suggestions.

Jeanette

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Jeanette,

If you are also using Office 2016 on Windows 10, this article mentioned that we are currently working to find a solution for the said concern and provided on the link is a workaround in order to add accounts. Look for Outlook for Windows crashes when trying to add Outlook.com account under Outlook crashes and slow performance.

However, if you are using a different version of Office and Windows, may we know those two?

Let us know if the provided solution worked for you.

Karla Alm
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.