Unable to open Business Contact Manager database after upgrading from XP to 7

I was happily using Outlook 2007 and Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 on my XP laptop. I then backed up all of my data before formatting everything and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7. I then installed Office 2007 and MS SQL Server V9, before installing BCM 2007 and copying the BCM files from my backup disk to my newly created Win7 laptop.  However, no matter what I try to do I cannot open the old BCM files.

The error messages vary depending on what I have tried to fix it. They include:

• Business Contact Manager database cannot be loaded. Unable to open the physical file
  • Business Contact Manager database cannot be loaded. Cannot open database "MSSmallBusiness" requiested by the login. The login failed
  • Cannot find the selected database.

The computer name has changed from when the laptop ran XP to now when it is running XP - this appears to be a factor in the problem.

I have even tried changing security permissions, but to no avail.

I can create a new empty BCM database without any problem. When I do it is exactly the same size on the disk as my "old one" - that worries me!

Firstly, is there any tool that I can use to "view" or "dump" the content of the old BCM database, as without knowing whether there's anything in it, I may be wasting my time.

Secondly, once I have confirmed that the old data does exist, what possible steps can I follow that will enable me EITHER to extract the "old" data and finally restore it to a "new" BCM database, OR to makes changes such that I can finally open the "old" BCM database in the normal fashion?

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2018 Views 3,541 Applies to:
Answer

Hi all and thanks for the suggested solutions.

Unfortunately these did NOT work, but I have subsequently found a solution that did!

I always thought that it was a security permission rather than a BCM problem, so I surfed the web looking for SQL access help.

I eventually found an excellent article here, entitled "SQL Server Connection Problems" by Buck Woody:

In a paragraph entitled "Server Configuration Issues", the author mentions theSurface Area Configuration (SAC) tool that comes with SQL Server 2005. It's name didn't sound encouraging, but the article said it could deal with connection issues. So, I found the above tool under All Programs\Microsoft SQL Server 2005\Configuration Tools, and started it up.

After granting it access at the Win7 User Access Control prompt, it started up. At first I tried using the Surface Area Configuration links found under the "Configure Surface Area for Localhost" title - but these did not help.

So I then investigated the "Minimize SQL Server 2005 Surface Area" (what a bizarre title!) - again with little confidence.

I clicked on the link "Add New Administrator", which launched the "User Provisioning Tool" in a new window. This looked more promising as it dealt with security permissions. In the left pane it had the privilege "Member of SQL Server SysAdmin Role of MSSMLBIZ". I granted it to my user via the move button and clicked ok. I think I may also have stopped and re-started the 3 active SQL services prior to and after this action.

I then re-started Outlook and went to the BCM toolbar and clicked Connect to browse for my BCM database - it found it at last! After clicking on OK it appeared to be opening it!

I then clicked on Business Contacts and to my ameazement and joy there were all my old contacts! This solution had done the trick.

I hope this helps someone else - 'cos it was driving me mad!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.