Outlook marks my POP Exchange messages as "read" on the server

When I open Outlook and it downloads all my new messages, it marks all of those messages as "read" on the server that they came from. That means that my Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail accounts all show that I have no new messages, and I can only see which messages are unread on Outlook. Worse, Outlook downoads everything onto itself as "unreadread", even if I've already read and responded on my phone or even Win 8 tablet's Mail app. This is a big problem when I'm walking around using a mobile device and my home computer is marking everything as "read". Worst of all, when I initally started up Outlook, it marked all of my older "unread" messages as "read", so now I don't have those marked to go back to. 

How can I get Outlook working together with my mail servers? If I can't get them synched, I'll have to uninstall Outlook, which I paid good money to have included in Office. 

John

What version of Office Outlook did you purchase?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Professional Plus 2013

Sorry this didn't help.

So to put this another way, I now have 1,300 unread messages in my Outlook Inbox, and 0 unread messages in my Yahoo Mail inbox. Neither of these is correct, and the 10 or so messages that I had saved as "unread" to come back to later are now impossible to pick out. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

I would like to know how the email account is setup (POP3/IMAP/EAS or Exchange) Outlook 2013?

You may create new Outlook profile following the steps from the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Note: Ensure to turn off the email scanner from the security application for emails while creating new Outlook Profile.

To setup the email account on the new Outlook profile refer the section How to set up an email account in the above article and then let the emails to synchronize from the server (if email account is setup as IMAP or EAS).

If the email account is setup as POP3, then in order to open the Old Outlook data file, follow the section Open an Outlook Data File (.pst) from the link below.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/open-change-or-close-outlook-data-files-HA010355609.aspx

Let us know the required information and hope the suggestions provided are helpful.
Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2020 Views 1,134 Applies to: