I had all sorts of problems from day one trying to get IMAP to work. Now it seems to be more or less stable some of the time (still ages behind Outlook 2010), but with one particular account I have a problem: from time to time, apparently for no reason,
all the messages disappear except for the 2 or 3 newest ones. It doesn't matter how I set the "mail to keep offline", the older messages don't come back.
I deleted the profile so many times I can't count them. Of course with the new profile everything seems to be going well initially, but soon all sort of problems start appearing (I think I experienced one by one ALL of the problems reported on the internets).
Any chance to have a stable solution? I'd love to use IMAP for my work email (like I did for many years using the previous versions), but at this time I can't. I still have to use Exchange OWA to make sure I don't miss anything. Plain annoying.
Thanks a lot for any help.
PS: Come on Microsoft, I have loved you deeply since Windows 3.11. You are number one and you have tens of billions in available resources. Don't scare people away with crappy products like this. Fix it please! The last thing I want is to switch to ugly
I have this same problem with multiple IMAP accounts. Also, I notice that the settings I enter for how long to keep messages will change by itself back to 3 months from "All". This is really irritating and not something that I would expect from a major
release from Microsoft. Solid IMAP support is a no brainer. How disappointing. Now I just have to decide if it's worth it to downgrade back to 2010.
I also have the same problem with different imap accounts on a thirth party server. All messages within the inbox are gone except for the newest ones of the day and those in sub folders. I must add the messages are not wiped from the server, luckily. Otherwise
the problem would have been a near disaster. Now it's just very annoying...
But indeed come on Microsoft, there are more people complaining. This has to be fixed...
i have had this problem too. I have deleted my imap account information and then set it up again. Then it disappeared again. Please let me know why so this can stop happening. THis only happens to my inbox. Other folders that I sync, including sent
items still function properly.
I am not sure that I'm posting this to the correct place, but I came up with a workaround that I thought might help others. I identified that the only 'missing messages' were in the inbox and that Outlook 2013 syncs just fine with all sub folders.
That being said, I created a sub folder called 'New' inside of the inbox and then created a rule in my web-based mail program to move all incoming mail to that mailbox. So basically I'm just bypassing the Inbox altogether and I have yet to lose a message
(knock on wood). All messages sync perfectly between my phone, laptop and browser-based mail system.
Microsoft ... this is CRAZY that you released new Outlook 2013 without fully testing the IMAP functionality. I have read hundreds of posts online of people having messages disappear from their Inbox and have found ZERO responses from a qualified Microsoft
person acknowledging it.
Thanks to NY Publisher for the workaround. It seems to do the trick. I have had a nightmare of a time with email. I've got Godaddy/Outlook 2013/iphones for me and small staff. We were POP and one employee was having intermittent emails never be received,
though address was correct.
We switched to IMAP and were doing better. Then I started to see emails that were about 4 days old disappearing from my Inbox -- and since we are IMAP, they were GONE, totally GONE! As a backup, I went into webmail and CCed all my incoming emails to a GMAIL
Then I implemented the above idea of moving everything automatically to a NEW folder. So far, so good.
So much wasted time I could have spent running my business. Thanks for the tip NY Publisher. Please keep the community informed of fixes.
I have three accounts in outlook (all IMAP, google).. Two accounts are configured to sync 6 months and 12 months respectively, while the third account is allowed to download all email. I have issue only with the first two accounts but not the third..
So, I allowed the first two accounts to download all the mail and it looks like the issue is resolved,, At least, the issue is not occurring since last week.. Hope this fixes the issue... :\