Outlook 2010 - 'error accessing system registry' when setting up profile

A quick history - just purchased a new Dell laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit).  Installed Office Home & Student 2010.  Have hosted Exchange service through GoDaddy; attempting to download and install Outlook to set up email account.  (No known issues with the Exchange service as email is running fine on my old laptop.)  Had multiple issues installing Outlook 2010 which I believe were caused by anti-virus software which has since been uninstalled.  Help desk at GoDaddy initially suggested using Outlook 2007, which I tried, but I was never able to get past the 'You have a previous version of the Microsoft Exchange Messaging Service" error message.

Current status is that all copies of Outlook 2007 have been uninstalled (to the best of my knowledge) along with the anti-virus software.  I have successfully downloaded and installed Outlook 2010, and it appears to be working.  However, when I attempt to set up my user profile through the 'mail' utility from Control Panel, I am having no luck.  No profile named 'Outlook' appears (as it typically did in the past), and adding a new user profile brings up the message 'There was an error accessing your system registry.' 

Any input / suggestions to solve this issue would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks very much!!

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2019 Views 5,195 Applies to:
Answer

Well... I have no logical explanation for why this is, but when I went into the Mail applet (to confirm that I could delete profiles) I attempted to add another new one to reconfirm the error message I had been seeing.  Lo and behold, the screen asking for my name and email address popped up, and I was able to successfully login to my Exchange server and set up Outlook. 

I also added a second user account on my laptop, and was able to set up a second Outlook mailbox for that user as well.  I also rebooted the computer just to confirm that Outlook would launch and connect successfully, and it has.

The computer has essentially been sitting idle since my initial post on Tuesday, so I have no idea why this issue has apparently resolved itself without any external input... but I am not complaining. :-)

Thanks for the help!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.