Outlook 2007 archive.pst file permission issue. Access denied after migrating from XP to Windows 7.

I've recently preformed a clean install of Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) on my production desktop at work. In doing so I saved my archive.pst file from my user profile to a USB drive along with the other files that I needed on the new system. I installed Office 2007 Professional and activated the product. I had not added my user name to the local administrator's group when I moved the archive.pst to the new location (It was a long day and I regret that oversight now). I tried to open the data file with Outlook 2007 and received the following message:

File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\...\Outlook\archive.pst.

I have since added my user name to the local administrator's group, given my user name full rights to the C:\ drive and all subfolders, I checked the archive.pst file to be sure my user name had full permissions there as well. When I tried to take ownership of the file I received the following error message:

An error occured while applying security information to: C:\Documents and Settings\...\archive.pst
Access is denied.

Other details that might be useful for troubleshooting this issue:

The system is joined to our domain (Windows 2003 mixed functional level).
I am a member of the Domain Administrators group.
The Domain Admins group is also in local administrator group.
I have tried using Unlocker on the archive.pst file (Unlocker showed no security handles to remove)
I had to manually add permissions to many locations on the C:\ drive.
Answer
Answer

In case anyone has the same issue I did, here's how I fixed it:

I found that I could open the  archive.pst file from my USB flash drive using Outlook. I then forced Outlook to Archive so I have an empty archive.pst container in the default location. With the original archive.pst file open from the flash drive, I manually copied each folder to the new archive.pst file. Don't know why this worked and I could not access the file by coping directly, but at least it worked.

Thanks for the help... Microsoft should put us on the payroll!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2021 Views 22,950 Applies to: