Outlook 2003 Send/Receive function stopped working

Outlook 2003 Send/Receive function stopped working.  Send (alone) still works.  No change in settings.  Problem occured when I was trying to cut and paste a pix via Paintbrush program.  Paintbrush no longer responds.  If I could only take my pc back 4 or 5 hourse.  Using Vista.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2019 Views 4,846 Applies to:

Have you tried restarting Outlook?

Also try restarting the computer if you haven’t, and then check the status.

If that doesn’t help, then the .srs file which stores the send/receive settings for Outlook may be corrupted. You may search for the *.srs file(s) and then rename them to *.old,  and verify if it fixes the issue. Outlook will recreate this file the next time you send/receive emails.

The default location for this file would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook.

If you still face the same issue, you may repair Office 2003 from the Control Panel using the Detect & Repair feature and check if it helps. Refer ‘Method 2’ mentioned in the article given below on how to repair Office.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821593

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was unable to locate the .srs file.  Not sure how to find a file.  You are dealing with a novice.  I did Use Control Panel Repair function.  After running it said all items were repaired.  When I open Outlook today I got this message "An extension failed to initialize.  Can't open file extend.dat"  All functions in Outlook appear to be working except SEND/RECEIVE function.  SEND works!

Could there be a link to Accessories Paint?  I was trying to cut and paste a picture from Paint into Outlook message when problem occurred.  Paint no long responds.

Sorry this didn't help.

The default location for the .srs file is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook.

To search for the .srs file, go to Start > Computer, then type *.srs in the search box at the top right corner and hit Enter.

This issue may occur if the extend.dat data file was damaged when you tried to copy-paste the image from  Microsoft Paint.  Close Outlook, then rename the extend.dat file and reopen Outlook to check if that resolves the issue. Refer the section ‘Part 2’ under ‘Resolution’ in the article given below. You may also refer the section ‘Workaround’ in the same article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823475

You may also have to select the option to view hidden files and folders to perform the steps mentioned in the article above. Refer the link below for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Just like to say a very big thank you for this tip. Believe it or not, I have Office 2003 running happily on Win 8.1 on my old desktop. Two days ago I stopped being able to download e-mails. Tried everything. The fix you provided back in 2012 solved my problem. Really pleased!

Sorry this didn't help.